Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Building a Yurt (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/building-a-yurt-f3/)
-   -   Enclosing the platform? (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/building-a-yurt-f3/enclosing-the-platform-194.html)

Karl 11-15-2012 10:45 PM

Enclosing the platform?

Hi Guys,

What product do you recommend for enclosing the space under the platform? The air space ranges from 2 ft to 5 ft at different places around our platform.

Jafo 11-16-2012 06:55 AM

Karl, do you want this to be all year round or do you want to be able to remove it? A friend of mine has a camp (not a yurt) but it sits on a raised platform. He said that he puts bails of hay around the base in the winter time. I have no idea how that works, but he says it works for him. He removes them in the spring.

Karl 11-16-2012 07:52 AM

I want it to be a bit more permanent than hay bails mainly to help divert wind gusts. We fortunately only got about 6 hours of bad wind from Sandy, and it mostly was shaking the yurt from under the platform. Then last week we actually got worse wind from a front, and again where it went under the platform was worse than the actual round yurt. The trailer skirting I see online looks to be square and rigid. I was looking for a product I can bend around in the round shape.

Jafo 11-16-2012 10:16 AM

Maybe "bendyply"?

Flexible plywood (bendy plywood & flexiply) :: Winwood Products

Innovative Panel Products by Neat Concepts

I dunno if they make weather proof bendyply though?

Pacific Yurts 11-16-2012 12:24 PM

Karl, you could also try HardieBacker.

James Hardie Backerboard | Residential Siding from James Hardie

It bends readily, can be textured and painted and isn't going to rot over time.

Corinarose 11-16-2012 01:00 PM

Karl,

I used siding from the skirting around a trailer on the low end and then metal shed siding for the tall ends of my yurt. They worked well and all of the material was free.
I also have bales of hay under there as well
I might consider cord wood walls in the future
Corina

Karl 11-16-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks guys! We are having 15000 btu Empire propane heater installed for extra heat and so we can go out without having to have fire going. I also ordered 23 48" x 75" Denim hot water heater blankets to put up around the walls. The full insulation that comes with the yurt really isn't very good. Bendy board or something around the platform should also cut down on drafts.

hakalugi 11-26-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl (Post 853)
I also ordered 23 48" x 75" Denim hot water heater blankets to put up around the walls. .

hi,

since "dead air" = insulation, i assume you won't smush-sandwich these between the lattice and existing inner insulation face. Are you going to place them inside of the lattice as your new inner most layer?

thanks.

bss 11-26-2012 12:46 PM

I was wondering the same thing thanks.

Karl 11-26-2012 09:00 PM

I put half of the insulation up today on the east side of the yurt. The blankets are inside the yurt against the lattice. They are held up by the snow and wind support 2x4s and Gorilla Tape linking them together. The yurt is already more comfortable. Tomorrow the heater gets installed in the morning and I will finish the west half of the insulation. Home Depot sells them only online, and they sent them in 23 individual boxes, which was really annoying. They only sell them online and won't ship to a store and let you pick them up. I will then cover the walls with a tan felt to make it look nice again.:D

HawaiiYurts 11-26-2012 11:32 PM

For insulating and wind gust protection are your requirements, right? Here in Hawaii it's mostly for looks and we often use a vinyl lattice. Bales and cord wood can harbor undesirables... rats, bugs... Hmm... interesting new topic!

hakalugi 11-27-2012 12:36 AM

ok

thanks karl, makes sense. we look forward to the update.

i've seen their denim insul on the website too, all in their own boxes - what a treat!

Jafo 11-27-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl (Post 895)
Home Depot sells them only online, and they sent them in 23 individual boxes, which was really annoying. They only sell them online and won't ship to a store and let you pick them up. I will then cover the walls with a tan felt to make it look nice again.:D

Karl, you wouldn't happen to have a link for this product would you? We get a lot of questions about this here lol..

Corinarose 11-27-2012 08:00 AM

Karl,

I purchased some of these last winter and they helped
But when I was checking on the flooring after discovering mold from leaky windows ( real windows----at least that's what I think it's from ) I saw that the denim was wet too.
I took all of this out-- very frustrated.
I left the yurt for a few weeks hoping everything would dry out and it has but since all the rain has stopped I still don't feel that I have found the culprit
I started a fire the other day-it was 27 degrees out side and in to start.
As it heated up I checked floor wall connections for mold/moisture and found the lining to be wet on the inside side of the yurt near one of the windows on the west side
Now, when I found all this mold I took the liner and moved it from inside the bender board to the outside of it--not ideal but if water/moisture was coming down the walls from the windows I wanted it to drain outside not on the floor

So my question is is this now condensation? The wood stove is on the east side of the yurt so it was the farthest away from this area. I will go up again next weekend and check all the walls---- needless to say I have moved out of my yurt as I am allergic to mold
I am also wondering if this is because of how the "real" windows were installed.
Or if others have found mold around the edges of the floor/wall connection

Back to the denim-- I also have thought about using this between the rafters but wanted to cover the silver lining-- someone suggested using a parachute which you can buy on either amazon or eBay can't remember which right at this moment.

One very unhappy yurt dweller

Jafo 11-27-2012 08:02 AM

Corina,

Would it be possible for you to take a pic of the affected area and post it here? Maybe we can get a better idea of how water might be getting in. It sure does sound like leakage.

Corinarose 11-27-2012 12:51 PM

Jeff,
I tried to up;oad a pic--it loaded up in Manage pics but after that I dont know how to insert it into a post or in yurt photos
Help

Corina

Jafo 11-27-2012 02:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
When you are making a post, you will see a button in the Additional Options section that says Manage Attachments:

Attachment 232

Click that button and it will open a popup window:

Attachment 233

Click browse on any of those input buttons in the "Upload File from your Computer" section and you should be able to search your machine for the image. Once you do that, click the upload button. You should see it in the list of current attachments in that same popup window:

Attachment 234

Close that little popup window and complete your post and submit it. The photo will show along the bottom of the post.

Corinarose 11-27-2012 02:26 PM

Jeff,
Followed all of that except the last one. Its highlighted and appears that the only option is to remove
I did do all of the above under a post but nothing showed in my post.
Somehow I did manage to up load by following the add photo or album but it did not show under misc.
They do appear under my profile under photos but I dont seem to be able to transfer them to the photo albums even thought that is where I started from

I seem to be technically challenged here

Jafo 11-27-2012 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't upload them to the photos section.. Upload them directly to the post.

Click the Post Reply button first:

Attachment 235

Corinarose 11-27-2012 04:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok did exactly as you told me--- i dont see my pics but perhaps they will load after i click submit--- here goes

Yeah!!! It worked

1st pic---where benderboard meets floor--liner is now pulled to the outside of benderboard
2nd--how wet the floor is--check out snail! the white foam is sealant I had used to stop the draft coming in where the liner met the floor
3rd is the gap between where the window frame is and the benderboard-- the black is mold.

Jefff thank you for the tutorial! Now I want to post pics to the general area but perhaps I will try in posts first. Thanks again for all the work you do

Jafo 11-27-2012 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No problem.. If you want to get advanced, after you upload all your pictures in a post, you can insert them within the post by utilizing the paperclip button in the editor:

Attachment 242

Like I just did ^^ :)

Back to your issue. My insulation liner and sidewall are always outside the bender board (or skirt as I call it). Your design is a little different than mine as the skirt is only like 2" high above the floor. It sure does look like the condensation between the liner and the sidewall was the issue. I would expect there to be some moisture in there as the heat from the insulation meets the cool of the sidewall.

Pacific Yurts 12-04-2012 06:21 PM

Corina,

It appears to me that the water is running down the backside of the lattice wall to the floor. The puddling looks to be spreading from the bottom of the lattice and spreading from there. If the water was between the side cover and sidewall insulation the water would have run down the drip edge before getting to the floor.

Based on these photos I suspect that the leakage is at the glass windows. You might want to check the seal around the window (the interface between the window and the side cover). Water may be sneaking in here and traveling down the lattice. I hope this helps.

HawaiiYurts 12-04-2012 06:45 PM

I suspect the windows as well. When they were installed, did you silicone the exterior frame to the wall? Some kind of weather proofing should have been used at this point, although I have noticed in the past that some companies don't include that in the instructions, it should always be done. The leakage would have likely been caught sooner if the insulation weren't present, or wasn't as absorptive. Use vinegar to kill the mold. Re-install the windows with sealant. Wait to see if it leaks, if not, then replace the insulation. If it does, then I'd start looking at the wall to roof seams and standard window seams. If it's condensation, you should be able to locate water at the roof/rafters/ring. I'm doubtful that it's condensation at that location.

HawaiiYurts 12-04-2012 06:47 PM

What kind of yurt is yours again, Corina?

Jafo 12-04-2012 06:49 PM

What has me concerned and why I mentioned the liner is because of what Corina says here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corinarose (Post 909)
Now, when I found all this mold I took the liner and moved it from inside the bender board to the outside of it--not ideal but if water/moisture was coming down the walls from the windows I wanted it to drain outside not on the floor

By bender board, does she mean the drip edge (skirt)? If so, then that was installed incorrectly.

HawaiiYurts 12-04-2012 06:53 PM

Not necessarily; by bender board I assume she means the drip edge, or the plywood that rises an inch or two above the circular platform. While most companies have you install the exterior wall past that and down to the exterior, many companies have you install the liner and insulation to the inside of that, between the lattice and the curved board.

Either way, there should not be water between the insulation and exterior wall.