Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Powering the Yurt (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/powering-the-yurt-f14/)
-   -   Lighting The Outhouse With a 9 Volt Battery and LED's (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/powering-the-yurt-f14/lighting-the-outhouse-with-a-9-volt-battery-and-leds-176.html)

Jafo 10-19-2012 10:39 AM

Lighting The Outhouse With a 9 Volt Battery and LED's

2 Attachment(s)
So I took some more of those LED's my uncle sent me from old commercial signs and connected about six of them to a 9 volt battery with a switch for my outhouse at the yurt camp. Here is a video demonstrating what I did below.

Here is a pic of the light coming through the moon in the door:

Attachment 221

These were destined for the landfill! Back to camp for me, have a good one!

- Jeff

Abstract 10-19-2012 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, that looks pretty good. Thanks for making the video, I love seeing them :)

I wonder if solar Christmas lights hanging from your yurt to the out-house would be good enough to light a path. .
Inside the outhouse, one cordless/rechargeable Craftsman work light would probably be more than good enough. Unless you're reading encyclopedias in there, it should last years :P

Jafo 10-19-2012 07:57 PM

It is pretty far to the outhouse so I am thinking solar motion lights actually. That is a good idea on the light, but part of my joy in this project was getting a good use out of something destined for the landfill lol!

Sunrhyse 07-24-2013 05:16 PM

Re: Lighting The Outhouse With a 9 Volt Battery and LED's

Would you be willing to take a picture of how you put the lights together in your outhouse. I saw the switch but not what the lights look like and how you put it together. We are looking to borrow your idea for our 7 day tent camping adventure. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jafo 07-24-2013 05:45 PM

I can, but it won't be for a day or two because that's when I will be there next. :)

Jafo 08-05-2013 11:04 AM

Sorry, I totally forgot to take more pics. It really isn't much more than red wire to red wire, black wire to black wire. The other end of the line had a 9v battery connection like you find in many devices. The switch is in the middle of the line. Very simple setup.

Jafo 08-05-2013 11:06 AM

Oh, and btw, that battery is still working since I installed it last October. :)

Jafo 08-07-2013 06:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had to run up there to drop of some stuff today and remembered to take some pics of the setup. I hope this helps! :)

Attachment 398

Attachment 399

Attachment 400

Attachment 401

Attachment 402

YurtSquared 09-17-2013 03:16 PM

Sweet photos and great idea. I like that the single 9v has lasted so long. I wonder how long it would last with more consistent use? How much use would you say its gotten so far? What are the power requirements on that light?

Jafo 09-17-2013 04:31 PM

I just replaced it about 2 weeks ago. Considering the few times people left it on by accident, I would estimate it gave maybe 30-40 hours of light?