Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Yurt Living (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/)
-   -   Do yurts keep out pests? (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/do-yurts-keep-out-pests-1603.html)

NamebrandHipster 06-27-2020 11:38 AM

Do yurts keep out pests?

Hello, I'm new here. Trying to buy my first home, and a yurt (from what I know so far) seems to fit my lifestyle the best.

I've been exploring every aspect of yurt life, but one that is important to me is pests. Specifically rodents.
I actually moved out of an apartment after a month simply because it had shrews in it. I'm mortally terrified of rodents.

My Question: Do yurts keep out rodents well? What about bugs? I live in Alaska where shrews are plentiful. I know that I'm going to be purchasing a yurt from Nomad Shelters, sense they seem to be a quality local company.

Thank you!

Bob Rowlands 06-27-2020 10:53 PM

Re: Do yurts keep out pests?

Yurts are covered with cloth. I would think a shrew could chew through any wall material if motivated to get inside. Having a cat or dog would possibly alleviate that issue. Good luck.

TSRalex 06-27-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands (Post 10200)
Having a cat or dog would possibly alleviate that issue. Good luck.

In Alaska lynx & fox would be an local solution. 😁

Jafo 06-28-2020 04:46 PM

I have yet to have a mouse chew through the polyester siding on my Pacific Yurt, but I have had mice inside mostly because I have a plastic water pipe running out the skirt of the yurt. I think they are no more prone to getting rodents than any other structure.

NamebrandHipster 06-28-2020 09:58 PM

I don't entirely understand how yurts are put together, but mine will be a permanent installation. Are there measures I could take to better seal it?
Such as spray foaming the seam at the base?

YurterRT 06-29-2020 08:20 AM

I order products from Ace Supply on line for rodent and snake repellants. I put out granules and spray with great results!! ;)

TSRalex 06-29-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YurterRT (Post 10204)
I order products from Ace Supply on line for rodent and snake repellants. I put out granules and spray with great results!! ;)

You only would need snakes to clean up with rodents..... :D

Jafo 06-29-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NamebrandHipster (Post 10203)
I don't entirely understand how yurts are put together, but mine will be a permanent installation. Are there measures I could take to better seal it?
Such as spray foaming the seam at the base?

The skirting on most engineered yurts is screwed to the platform. Putting weatherstripping on the skirt before screwing it down tightens it up pretty well. I don't think foam would be any better than that.

Bob Rowlands 06-30-2020 12:02 AM

I would not use 'Great Stuff' spray foam on yurt fabric. Canned spray foam works great for insulation and sealing around door and window jams, but sticks like nothing else I have ever seen on site. You would regret it if you had to pull the cover some later date. I have used 'great stuff' insulfoam at work and while it is a fine product, it isn't designed for use on yurt skirting.

TSRalex 06-30-2020 03:31 AM

Just reading in the glossary of Rainier Yurts:

Pursing Cable: The stainless steel cable that runs under the platform on the Eagle yurt. Marine grade “Jib-Hanks” secure the side wall to the pursing cable and allow for easy removal of the individual side wall panels. The unique design of using the pursing cable means that as the side wall turns a corner it is tensioned underneath which defends the yurt form rodents, insects, wind and moisture.