Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Yurt Living (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/)
-   -   How to Circulate Heat in Large Yurt (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/how-to-circulate-heat-in-large-yurt-1543.html)

rchaney 09-29-2019 01:19 PM

How to Circulate Heat in Large Yurt

New to yurt living. I'm wondering how to circulate all that luscious warm air the wood stove creates and pillows up against the ceiling.

The yurt is large, insulated, wood framed. 33' diameter. It's a house. With a loft.

Ideas... experience.. links... ?

What's the physics of all this... the basic principles?

Thank you Much!

-Ralph

Jafo 09-30-2019 08:29 AM

Re: How to Circulate Heat in Large Yurt

Basically, install a ceiling fan.

Bob Rowlands 09-30-2019 02:54 PM

yup a fan is THE basic temp destratifying tool in large open areas. You can also just point a floor model up at the ceiling and get it destraitified.

Bob Rowlands 09-30-2019 02:59 PM

There are also non electric fans that sit on the woodstove, that are designed to help circulate the air. Never used one or seen one in use, so how well they work beats me. I'm gonna guess in a big yurt that size they may not do a whole lot of air mixing. Probably worth investigating online though. Good luck.

Bob Rowlands 09-30-2019 03:02 PM

We have ceiling fan in our master bedroom that blows down or up and really mixes the air. I worked on several simple log cabins up in WY that used ceiling fan to destratify woodstove heated air in the great room. Work GREAT. Otherwise an oven up there.

rchaney 10-01-2019 01:05 PM

Thank you much! I'll try a floor model, pointed up... and also experiment.
-Ralph

James 10-03-2019 09:49 PM

the stove fan, and the ceiling fan is the best, but if you use a ceiling fan do not put it under the dome unless you want a strobe light when the sun is out I would suggest two ceiling fan to circulate the air better.

dickinson 02-05-2020 11:35 AM

Does anyone have experience installing a ceiling fan in a yurt? I'm considering one for my 20' and 24' yurts for warm air circulation in the winter time.

Bob Rowlands 02-05-2020 02:14 PM

If there is 8' of headroom from floor to fan blades you will be OK. A 2x10 screwed flat between a pair of rafters will hold the fan nice and solid. The shorter the base to fan drop tube, the less wobble. Base of a typical fan is 6" wide. The junction box requires ~4" hole. Oscillating floor fan(s) pointed at roof will also mix air. And not violate any codes either. :D Good luck.