Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Powering the Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Solar Panel Setup

Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Yurt Solar Panel Setup

Here is my solar setup:

As you can see, I have the panels partially suspended through the grommet holes on the top cover. The solar panels weigh about 35-40 pounds all together. I am wondering if this might hurt the roof at all? I just don't want to screw them to the wall and puncture the side cover, and the ground is very stony, so I don't want to put in a post. Thoughts?

Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Pulling on the top cover grommets can indeed be tough on the fabric and could eventually tear it. You might be able to remove just the soft topsoil and set pier blocks in place to support a post (or two). You could brace the post(s) by anchoring to your platform's posts.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Administrator

I think I might pour a pad right below where the panel is and run a post there, then strap it to the skirt somehow. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative
Shelter Designs

Remember to adjust your panels for different times of the year. You are not always getting the same sun exposure, (summer & winter) most people do a twice a year tilt, others may do four.
Shelter Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Administrator

Thanks! I am actually planning on getting these setup this weekend after I buy another panel kit.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Administrator

Ok, I decided to put out three 2 X 4's with 3 upright supports all attached to the footings underneath. I still have to doll this up a bit, but much of the frame actually came from the pallets the yurt was shipped on! Why waste them?

Here is a shot from the side:

And here is a shot from the front:

The 4X4 above the left panel was a goofy idea gone wrong.. I have to remove that. I still want to brace the upright to the side (that is connected to the footing) and then I want to support each side back to the footing. I just ran out of time and wood today. I attached the panels with nylon rope. There will be times when I want to move them, so that will make it easier. In the winter when I won't be there as much, I will untie the bottoms and tie the lower half of the panel all the way back toward the yurt wall so when the snow comes off the roof, it doesn't land so much on the panel.
Dan R-M, Corinarose and Rick like this.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Administrator

And in case you are laughing, I agree with you! Daddy did not raise a carpenter! :P
Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Did you get another set of PV panels? In the previous photo, there were only three and now there are six.

I think it's a great idea to move these from hanging off the roof to having their own support system connected to the deck frame. I don't understand what you mean about tying them back in the winter. Are you saying you will simply pull the bottom back so they will sit vertical instead of with the bottom angled out? Have you though about some type of disconnect system so you can just put the panels inside in the winter or is the idea to have them charging (if possible) but just not tilted out so the snow won't hammer down on them?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Did you get another set of PV panels? In the previous photo, there were only three and now there are six.

I think it's a great idea to move these from hanging off the roof to having their own support system connected to the deck frame. I don't understand what you mean about tying them back in the winter. Are you saying you will simply pull the bottom back so they will sit vertical instead of with the bottom angled out? Have you though about some type of disconnect system so you can just put the panels inside in the winter or is the idea to have them charging (if possible) but just not tilted out so the snow won't hammer down on them?
Yes, bought another set today. Harbor freight had them on sale from $229 to $189, and I had a 20% off coupon on anything, so I got it for $151. I find the one set works fine if you are up there only on weekends and they recharge the rest of the time, but I plan on staying up there for a week soon and want to make sure I have an extra boost of power.

Yes, I do mean lower the bottom so it will be parallel with the wall of the yurt. I worry that in the winter the angle might be too much if the snow landed on it. I do plan on hiking or snowmobiling in there in the winter so I want to keep the batteries charged up if I can.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Hey, that looks beautiful to me! Maybe a titch over-built, but my vote goes with solid over sleek anytime.
Is that all screwed, as it appears, or did you bolt anything?
I'm a big fan of re-purposed pallets for most every opportunity
Dan R-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts, solar