Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Member Yurts > Karl's Yurt
Advanced Search

Chimney Height?

Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Chimney height?

How many vertical feet is the chimney pipe from the cleanout? I mean from where it elbows outside.

I have been looking over the cost of that pipe (double walled I assume?) and am trying to get a ballpark of what I am going to spend.

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Jafo........I just read this yesterday at Karl's site, 3rd article from the top:
littleyurtontheborderlands | Homesteading permaculture microfarming site
djspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Administrator

Yep I was reading that, but at one point he says that he hooked 3, 3' sections together, but in this pic, it looks like two?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Here it says "Two three foot sections of chimney were then locked together and a chimney weather cap was installed on top of them."
Stove install complete! | littleyurtontheborderlands
djspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Administrator

Ahh ok, I read that wrong lol..
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

Default Chimney sections

Sorry for the confusion. I bought 3 sections only had to use two because I made a 6 inch mistake installing the stove pipe outlet and put it to high up into the valance. With a ten foot stick to find the point on the roof, my chimney outlet is just barely 2 feet higher with two sections installed. I plan on seeing if it's enough and either adding the third piece or taking it back getting 100 bucks back. This stuff was expensive. Also sorry I didn't answer sooner, but my work schedule is completely unknown and I was there for awhile today. I folded the valance up to get more than 2 inches clearance from the pipe. I am going to buy some hooks to make sure it stays raised in windy conditions. Although it stayed in the 40 mile gusts we got the other day.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Administrator

That is about what that pipe costs here, which is why I am asking.. I am trying to ballpark what it is going to cost to get it all done. I am thinking around $400-$500.

We are all busy people, so don't worry about when you reply lol. The only reason I get to reply as often as I do is because I work from home on the computer all day so it is right here in front of me.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

Default Chimney

Ours came to $900 with the extra pipe. I have run the stove pretty hard for two days. Both to keep warm and to learn how it behaves, since we have never used one before, and I see no ash build up on the

dome

. Last night I went out and watched the outlet for a while and saw no embers coming out. I bought 3 long pipes, the clean-out base piece, a weather cap, and a connector that attaches to the thin walled stove pipe, plus a chimney support and two brackets that hold the long pieces to the frame plus four heat shield pieces, two of which the stove sits on and two of which are behind it on the wall.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Administrator

How much did just the piping and the brackets run?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

About $500, if I'm remembering right.

Tags
heating