Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Everything Else
Advanced Search

Yurt Dome Heat Blocking

Old 06-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Dome Heat Blocking

Hello all. First time poster. I have a 20' yurt that I use as a vacation rental. I had very happy guests leave today but they mentioned that during the middle of the day, the light coming through the

dome

gets very hot, and the a/c was just not cutting it, even though I do have a higher BTU than needed for the space. I am hesitant to allow guests to open the

dome

because we get random showers and if a guest forgets to close the dome....well, that would be a mess.
So my question is, has anyone come up with a good solution for reducing the sun heat coming through the dome? My two current options are a product called EZ Snap that is an exterior shade basically, which would attach to the exterior of the dome but can still see through from the inside. It looks like a good option except for the crawling across the yurt roof to get to the dome to install it. I also like it because it blocks the heat from getting to the dome which will help protect the dome over time. The second option is getting a UV film for the interior of the dome. Of course, the challenge with that is applying it to a curved surface. My thought was cutting it into pie wedges and applying it that way? But if it looks crappy, well, that would be crappy.
Any other ideas? Needs to be something that can stay up there because I don't want guests to have to add or take off. Thanks in advance!

Paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt Dome Heat Blocking

What brand yurt do you have?

Most of the major manufactures offer a tinted dome.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

It is a yurt from a local yurt company,

Laurel Nest Yurts

. I don't think they are operational any more and I would rather not go through the challenge and cost of replacing the whole dome if I can find another option.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
Administrator

I would think that you could create a shade that could be pulled UNDER the dome when needed. If it were hooked to some bungee cords, it would probably work.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I had thought about something like that but I have extra tall walls so would need to make it very user friendly for guests. I would really like something more set in place. Something I wish I had known about when I first bought the yurt!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Get an umbrella and figure a way to hang it under the dome?
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

you know those medeal blinds you put on the windows, that open with a string, I used those, I am using and old electric motor to open or shut them or to pull the blind completely out of the way the strings are hidden behind my

insulation

, that way than can have as much or as little light as they wish.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Clever idea.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Soon after setting up our 20'

Pacific Yurts

in 2016 we found the hot New Mexico sun coming through the dome would warp our vinyl flooring. We custom cut a piece of shade cloth and hemmed it in a circle and push-pinned it in place under the dome. The dome opener still works with the hook protruding through a small hole in the cloth.

If I were in the yurt more of the time, I would have rigged a triangular shade cloth in such a way that it could be easily unhooked at one corner and pulled out of the way, allowing a view of the stars at night. I think a standard "reacher" gadget might have allowed reaching and re-positioning a single hook to make that work. Something like the attached drawing, as seen from below.

My wife thought the idea was unaesthetic and nixed it.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1217  
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Ewmetzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Good idea for shade. I would go with four anchoring straps to keep the shade taught during real rain. No pooling water bombing the inside of the yurt.

Tags
dome