Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Laurel Nest Yurts

Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Laurel Nest Yurts

I asked about

Spirit Mountain Yurts

the other day and got some great feedback and inbox messages which was very helpful. Thanks

So, I've continued to check out all the other manufacturers listed and wanted to ask the same question about

Laurel Nest Yurts

Does anyone have any specific information positive or negative about the quality of their products or customer service? I'm looking to purchase a 30' Yurt and I'm working with a budget. I'd like to add some additional windows and a double door so with pricing those upgrades it looks like Laurel Nest would work and then possibly

Shelter Designs

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Michelle from Oklahoma

familyofsooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Laurel Nest Yurts

While I'm unfamiliar with the two yurt manufacturers you mention, given that you live in Oklahoma shipping will be expensive if it comes from either coast. Just something to consider. Good luck!
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Administrator

I have heard limited, but good things about Laurel. You might also want to consider

Blue Ridge Yurts

which might have cheaper shipping options to OK:

Blue Ridge Yurts - - Threads Tagged with Blue Ridge Yurts
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyofsooners View Post
So, I've continued to check out all the other manufacturers listed...
From what I've heard that might be a wise move

We've bought yurts from a number of supplier, and

Pacific Yurts

have turned out to be head and shoulders above the rest. Both their product and customer service are, IMHO, world-class.

We're placing our second order with them shortly. The first four yurts from them have performed very well, although we have had to add extra

insulation

to make them usable year-round without burning silly amounts of wood. But we counted on that. We are in Sweden after all.

We've had the stormiest autumn on record with storm, and at times, hurricane force winds. The yurts haven't moved a millimetre - and I was really worried a few times when the wind came screaming in from the North Sea!
stephanwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

I purchased my roof ring, roof

dome

, door and window frames, roof and wall covers from

Laurel Nest Yurts

Hal (owner of Laurel Nest) was great! Very informative, patient, and kind. And I never felt like he was trying to sell me something. As well, all of the parts I purchased from him are very solid and well made.

I would definitely purchase from him again in the future.

Ryan
Jafo, Jake and paigemc like this.
ryankal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have purchased a 12ft yurt and a 20 yurt from hal at laurel nest yurts. He is my yurt guru.

He encouredged me to make as many of the compents myself as possible, and gave me a free 100 plus page guide with pictures on how to do it. He was avaible to answer my multitude of questions, and worked with me to reduce the prices by incorporating some used components. The crating fees alone from NC to NY were killing me so when he made a trip up to NJ he threw my yurts on his trailer and met me there, only charging me $100. Just the other week I emailed him some questions regarding a 30 ft yurt I am building. He answered me promptly with some great advice, even though there was no sale involved. Hal is a great guy, you should totally give him a call! let me know if you have any questions/ I found making my own khana, rafters, and reflextix

insulation

to be a simple way to drastically reduce the cost.
ljamies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

I had the SAME experience with Hal! He encouraged me to make as much as I was comfortable with, gave me his manual, worked with me on pricing, AND delivered the parts I purchased to Maryland on his way to NJ/NY to avoid expensive shipping costs! He is a great guy and has been answering any questions that I send his way.

Ryan

Ryan
ljamies1 and nc_hillbilly like this.
ryankal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hal's service has been awesome with us as well. Great integrity from a small family operation. Very considerate and cool family. A good choice all around.
tony
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laurel nest yurts, shelter designs