Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Best Yurt Manufacturer For Harsh Maine Winters

Old 01-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Best Yurt Manufacturer for harsh Maine Winters

Hi, so after 34 years of working and a recent brush with Cancer I'm still fighting I have decided to retire and settle down in North Maine. I always promised my wife I would get her that piece of nature we always dreamed before time passes too much longer . I purchased a large property off Grid and would like to place 30ft Yurt to live in for about 2-3 few years until I can build her small cabin . Problem is the very cold and long winters coupled with large Snowfalls I find we need to Purchase a quality Yurt that not only has a winter package available but can withstand the large weight of Snow accumulations if need be.
I was wondering if Anyone lives or has lived up that way that can provide some personal insight or feedback on reliable manufactures or proven yurts to hold up to the harsh winters. There are so many manufacturers these days that the choices seem confusing and honestly I cant tell a good one from a bad or what to stay away from as I am so new to this. My goal is to buy it this spring and go setup in summer. Thank you for those that have been down this road for any information....I believe experience , quality customer satisfaction counts for everything versus a flashy website.

YurterRT likes this.
Rico67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Default re: Best Yurt Manufacturer for harsh Maine Winters

I have a 30' Pacific yurt up in the Adirondacks, right in the snow belt. We usually place in the top 5 in America for snow accumulation every year due to lake effect from Lake Ontario.

I have had no issues with snow load. Keep in mind that if you are going to be living in the property during the winter, the snow will slide off because of the interior heat.

I think most of your major manufacturers with stamped engineered plans are fine, providing you purchase their snow packages which usually consist of 2X6 rafters and vertical supports on the walls (studs).

One thing I will say is, don't cheap out on the platform. That is holding all the weight.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Manufacturer Representative

We have yurts at many ski areas, and in some very heavy snow load areas. We'd love to work with you.
YurterRT likes this.
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

We are have a 50# per square foot snow load rating. Our 30' Yurt has 48 2"X6" rafters. This is standard in our 30' yurt. No up charge. We build all our yurts for a high snow load rating. Standard. We have had yurts standing for over 25 years in Northern Alaska. Where high winds and heavy snow are normal. Our

insulation

is Four layers, plus

Durolast

cover on sidewall and roof. Standard...no up charge.
We have a

moisture

barrier in our four season

insulation

that prevents outside

moisture

from seeping inside. We are truly Alaskan Tough Yurts. We would love to chat with you about our product. Just ask for Avangaline 907-299-6324
BTW: 15 year manufacturer warranty & free hurricane cable with every yurt.
And our lattice is 7/8" x 1-7/8" thick per stick, combined the lattice will be 1-3/4" x 1-7/8" thick.
Nomad Shelter AK Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I think Jafo is right. Most of the major brands are top notch. Esp if they have been around for a while.

Not sure where you folks are now, but I live in mid-nh, on the eastern side. This is my fifth winter living full-time in my yurt. If you want to come visit, look around, and chat - contact me.

Congrats on exploring your dream. Life is short. (But it's also smart to do your research and know yourselves.) -- Cindy
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I am on my second winter with a Surelyyurt.com , close to Jafo in the snowbelt of the Adirondacks. No complaints, passed the building inspection for weight load.
ADKbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

We have a number of larger Yurts (30' diameter) throughout Maine used either as permanent residences or rentals. I may be able to get you a site visit depending on your preferred location. Shoot me an email [email protected]. Good Luck. jer
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Best Yurt Manufacturer for harsh Maine Winters

Thank you all, I will contact many of you. I started with submitting a quote to

Pacific yurts

5 days ago for a 30ft with Numerous Upgrades but they still have not returned my submittal Quote so will explore other makers in the mean time....I have 2 months of Treatment then headed up with My brother to make a site prep and Deck. Hoping to have everything with me to setup in late Spring. Thank you all for PM me with advise. It is very appreciated. I hope to ask many more questions from

heating

to kitchens. Please bare with me as a new Yurt newbie
Rico67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
Manufacturer Representative

We have blogs that answer a lot of questions for yurt newbies. Scroll down and see the titles that interest you- and let us know if we can help you with a quote.
https://www.coloradoyurt.com/categor...ions-answered/
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm in the windiest place in N. America, SW Alberta, just east of the Rockies with winds that gust up to 130-140 kph and sometimes very heavy snows. We built a very sturdy base for the floor of our 24' Pacific yurt with wind, snow and perimeter blocking package. It hasn't sailed away yet in 7 years. Do not get a

dome

that opens; they're a waste of money you can spend on other more important features like a really good stove (eg Pacific Energy). Our floor is insulated, which I recommend as well. Good luck in your research.
riesahp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None