Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Best Platform Plans?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default best platform plans?

Hi - my husband and I are embarking on our first yurt. Likely will purchase from

Pacific Yurts

. We are wondering about any wisdom you forum members might have regarding the platform. We will be building on pretty level ground, and hope to keep it really simple - just the basic circle. Might do some adjoining decks later, but for now just want it down to basics. We think we can probably support it with some skids we already own, and concrete blocks. Hoping for tips from you guys - any stunning successes? Failures? Thanks.

alisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Manufacturer Representative

Default Re: best platform plans?

Please check out our website also. We have platform plans to download, and are a very good quality, excellent customer service company.
Handcrafted Yurts, Tipis and Tents
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 07-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Hello,

Yurts of America

has plans for 16', 20', 24', and 30' diameter Yurt platforms. You have the choice of SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) or glued and screwed plywood platform surface. All of our plans are Professional Engineer (PE) stamped and have been built all over North America. Several of the plan sets have been converted to metric and specify European Dimensional Lumber for our old-world customers.

So far - the structural plans have pass building code everywhere. The main local consideration is the requirements for your footers. This will vary by soil type.

If you design yourself - don't forget the hurricane straps for uplift rating.

Email or call if you would like a set.

Good Luck

Yurts of America
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

alisa53, are the 'skids' you refer to pallets, or something else? If building on top of pallets you will want to add a

moisture

barrier before laying the pallets down to avoid premature rot. Give us a call at 1-800-944-0240 or email us at [email protected] to discuss your plans in more detail.

Pacific Yurts
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi there,

I've done a load of blog posts about platforms I've made, which you can look at here: https://thedevolutionary.wordpress.com/?s=platform

Answers will depend on the size of the yurt and what you're going to put in it. I'd recommend at least 15cm joists, about 60cm apart (sorry it's not in inches, guys) as shown in the more recent blog posts. The yurt I'm sitting in right now is on 8cm joists resting on breeze blocks, with no

insulation

, and has happily gone through several winters, and a spell of -20C. I can put an 18' platform together for about 1,000 euros and support the joists on acacia posts pounded into the ground.

Check out the

Pacific Yurts

platforms for ideas - they're excellent.

Good luck with it all.
ecovallee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts