Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Owner Wannabe

Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt owner wannabe

Hello all. I'm new here & strongly considering a 32' yurt as only residence after I move onto a farm in the near future. I have a spot picked out a spot & addressed water/electric needs etc. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Yurtzbydesign? Has anyone used a cement pad as base?

dlhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt owner wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhall View Post
Has anyone used a cement pad as base?
Where are you from? A friend of mine in Washington State tells me that is friends with a ranger out there (or in Oregon, can't remember), and he says they always use a cement pad for the yurts in the parks. I would recommend that you consider what plumbing you might eventually use and plan for it. You don't want to have to dig through the pad at a later time.

I have no experience with that company and will leave that for others to comment on.
dlhall likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 02-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

With a concrete pad you might also consider raident heat in the slab.
dlhall likes this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Cement pad

Thanks for responding. . The plan is radiant infloor heat using glycol warmed by heat exchanger tied to propane hot water tank. Low-tech, little power consumed to circulate. The goal is a warmish yurt augmented by a wood burning cooker to bring it up to a warmer room temp when home. This will be in central Alberta & with our winters that can be brutal I'm thinking both heat sources might be required in worst part of our prairie winters.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt owner wannabe/plumbing

Wise words on thinking of plumbing. We're working on that too.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

We are about to pour our radiant heat/concrete floors for our yurt - waiting for a warm spell in the mountains of VA. Will be our permanent residence on our working farm for a family of five (yes, separate bath house for sure)! Will keep you posted if we are done before you are
Kirsten in VA
arcadiafarmyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Sounds like you guys have it pretty well planed out. I am PLUMBER 40 years worth if i can help just ask an ill give my 2 cents worth. have done a few radiant slabs with anti-freeze.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Marshall - Wow, thanks! When I get some questions organized, I'd love to ask you some questions! We are going solar, I hope, and so need to figure out how to coordinate everything...
Kirsten
arcadiafarmyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm excited to share this news. I'm buying a used 28' Yurtco (now Yurtzbydesign) and will be relocating it as soon as the snow goes enough to get truck & trailer into the site where it is. I've also bought the large deck it sits on so I'll be tediously unscrewing it and moving all the pieces of that....its actually "we" as this job too big for one! Plans change as we all know so the concrete pad idea is out the window and yurt will be put on the repurposed deck.

I do have concerns about Alberta winters & relying on just the factory reflective

insulation

. Has anyone used a closed cell flexible foam

insulation

that comes by the roll? Sheep's wool insulation looks interesting too but I gather expensive. I'd sure welcome any and all suggestions from experienced yurt owners in COLD climates.....it often gets to -30C here and stays that way for days.....and thats before windchill factored in.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Welcome to the discussions !

Why do away with the slab? It can still add to the heat gain of the yurt. Put your platform on the slab, without the insulation under the floor.

Also keep in mind that in Mongolia -30 in the winter is the norm. Plus wind. A yurt is a good choice for where you are locating.

Good luck on it.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yurtz by design