Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Dome Skylight Options?

Old 08-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt dome skylight options?

hi there!

I recently had a wooden yurt constructed in my backyard with a company I wouldn't use again . The yurt is octagonal and there is a cut out for a skylight/dome, but the company didn't provide one and didn't have any resources for me on where to find something.

If I provide the specs, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a company that might be able to make one for me?

thank you so much - I appreciate any advice dearly as I want to get this closed up before rainy season here in Oregon!

yaeli

yaelimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt dome skylight options?

I don't know of any company that builds them to spec. To be honest, even if there was, it would probably be far cheaper at this point to hire a local contractor who might build you one from scratch.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Yup. You gonna have to find a carpenter at this point.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

ah, thanks for the input you both.

I actually had a contractor and my handyman look at it and both had no idea what to do for it --- they thought I needed to get in touch with a yurt company since they know about this, which is how I found this forum.

but grateful for the feedback.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Too bad I'm not there I'd get it done for you. You need to keep contacting carpenters. A good carpenter can dang near figure out how to do anything. I'd stay away from builders that don't actually do the work themselves. Usually if you get a builder involved he is merely going to have someone he knows to do the work. That's a service for sure but he gonna charge for his service. If there's a college nearby post on a board somewhere. Sometimes there are good carpenters that can do this kind of work that just might answer. Keep asking around and you will find somebody.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks bob. I've been working on building projects here for nearly 4 years and I can tell you it's nearly impossible to find good folks. Portland has gone through a crazy building boom so it's hard to find people all together, let alone people who are really good and reliable. feeling discouraged
Old 08-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
Administrator

If your contractors need an idea of a way to enclose it, here is an image from

Surely Yurts

to illustrate how to build one in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1447[1].jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	1159
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Remember though, it must breathe. So a way to either open the window should be put in, or like in this pic, the built in windows do NOT go all the way to the top. There is a little vent at the top to let out

moisture

Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

There are cream tradesmen but not all that many. Most guys are in it for the money, not because they like to work. Of course that covers all businesses. Hate to say that but that's my opinion.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

And yes, a common problem when you DO get someone out to look at the job is, if they really aren't interested, they still say, "Yeah I'll figure it up and get back to you.", and then you never hear from them. That is very common on small jobs where no real money will be made. That IS discouraging. Unfortunately imo nowadays it really is all about money, moreso then any time in the past. In general nowadays people are WAY less courteous then they used to be. Grandma ansd I regularly hear people hardcore cussing up a storm everywhere in public. That's our society now. The simple lack of respect is mind boggling.

Tags
dome