Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

The Yurt Raising!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt!!

Jafo!

Beautiful yurt! Did you insulate the deck? How? Is this a full time residence? Do you have a stove? perimiter or central?

Blondie
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Administrator

Thanks!

We just got a wood stove this weekend but have not installed it yet. We will be going on the perimeter with it.

It is not a residence, rather just our get away/hunting camp. I have not yet insulated the deck. I want to see if it is something I really want to do first. Basically I am going to see how it is without it first.

Thanks for joining yurt forum! Are you a yurt owner or just perusing?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Hi

I bought 14+ acres south of Zions Nat'l Park last fall. It is way out there and I will be off the grid at least for a while. I have been researching yurts for quite a while. However, the funds involved took my breath away. So I have gathered my courage together and decided to build a 30 ft one myself.

I am wking slowly on it. I have finished the external canvas. I have finished the Khana. They are ready for the hardware. The beams, all 45, are complete. The Tono is about 1/2 complete. The inner lining is ready to be started.

The deck will be an elevated deck built on the site. I have purchased a composting toilet, a propane stove and a big three panel solar power system. Water will be by a solar powered pump.

The views are unbelievable!!!

Blondie
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Administrator

Wow now THAT sounds like a project. I hear it is really dry out there right now. Hopefully that doesn't hamper your progress. Would love to see some pics of your progress if you get time to take them.

It sounds like a really impressive project. Good luck with it and if you have any questions I hope I can help, though mine was a kit. I would also love to know what your final costs were when all is said and done.

Please keep us updated!

As for the solar power, did you get the harbor freight panels or something a bit more beefy?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

Oh! it is a very big project!

Fire is a very big issue at this moment. It is normally dry but not this dry. The humidity is about 2 to 4%.

The yurt will come in under 2K, the deck will be about 1.5K including

insulation

and tile.

Blondie
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Solar

I have three 175 volt German made panels.

Blondie
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Administrator

Do you mean 175 watt panels?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

yes, I am a girl.........lol
Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
yes, I am a girl.........lol
LOL. I can't tell you how many times I screwed that up when researching what panels to get. Definitely not a girl only thing! I can only speak from my experience when it comes to solar panels and marine batteries, but I have 3 15 watt solar panels for a total of 45 watts charging two 115 amp hour marine batteries. It is more than enough to run lights, stereo and a shortwave radio from camp. I also run a shop vac, charge all the tools and batteries and have plenty of capacity left over. Once you start running refrigerators, fans, AC, TV's, then it uses more power. I have none of those things at my camp though.

I forgot to ask, will this be a full time residence or a recreational property?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

It will be a full time residence.

I will be running a frig/freezer and a big screen TV with a couple of LED lights on a track light system. I will probably need to run the generator for the dish washer and or washing machine. (once a wk.) Haven't picked up the marine batteries yet....but will need 4.

Is your yurt insulated?

Tags
center ring, dome, insulation, solar