Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Starting My Yurt Life On Orcas Island, WA

Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Starting My Yurt Life on Orcas Island, WA

Just returned from our Puget Sound vacation, and are already making a list of things to do to get our Arkansas house ready for the market. I think we have found "home"! There are so many beautiful places to live and work, the hardest thing to do will be choosing one! We loved the diversity of Seattle, the water views of Friday Harbor, the lull of the waves of Ocean Shores, the quiet potential of Aberdeen, the remote beauty of Elma, and the cultural and historical appeal of Olympia. The weather was gorgeous (can't remember the last time we slept comfortable with just a window open), the drinking water was inspirational and we found the people warm and receptive. WE ARE IN LOVE!!
Jafo likes this.
LDCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
Yurt Forum Youngin

LD...great to hear your visit went well. We are having one of the most beautiful spring/summer's on record...and when the weather is nice, there is no place more beautiful than the NW. Even when the winter grayness comes in, there are still so many wonderful places to visit. I was just saying to a colleague at work that there are so many things to do when the weather is nice, you almost have to treat roadtrips like a full time job to see them all. For us though, we love the San Juans, and now with our yurt constructed, we are planning to spend the majority of the time up there.
Best of luck in your search, sounds like you guys covered some ground. South Sound is nice as you will be closer to the beaches in WA and OR, while North Sound puts you closer to the islands, Victoria and Vancouver. Can;t go wrong in any direction really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDCooper View Post
Just returned from our Puget Sound vacation, and are already making a list of things to do to get our Arkansas house ready for the market. I think we have found "home"! There are so many beautiful places to live and work, the hardest thing to do will be choosing one! We loved the diversity of Seattle, the water views of Friday Harbor, the lull of the waves of Ocean Shores, the quiet potential of Aberdeen, the remote beauty of Elma, and the cultural and historical appeal of Olympia. The weather was gorgeous (can't remember the last time we slept comfortable with just a window open), the drinking water was inspirational and we found the people warm and receptive. WE ARE IN LOVE!!
OrcasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
Yurt Forum Youngin

We've continued to decorate and refine out yurt interior through the summer/fall, so I thought I would post some pics. Additionally, we've had the large alder tree hanging over our yurt taken down because it was cracking an posed a hazard.
As far as improvements:
1) Lighting: We've hung some small solar lights from the ceiling that have individual small panels that power each string. These were purchase from IKEA and have worked out pretty well providing some good ambient light at night time
2) Storage: We purchased some cheaper hammocks to store stuff above the kitchen area and to get stuff off of the walls.
3) Marine toilet - Our neighbors up the road (former yurt-ites as they call themselves) offered us their chemical marine toilet. This has worked out well for longer weekends...but we typically have tried to limit its use to night time and numero uno only. ..as anything else in there is a little difficult to clean out of the holding tank.
4) Propane stove - We are currently using a tailgating style propane stove inside the yurt for cooking. When we cook we open the

dome

AND we roll up the window next to the stove to make sure we don;t have any CO issues.

Still have work to do on the steps and maybe a little platform for some adirondack chairs. Got to save something for next spring/summer

Enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1150.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1141.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1144.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1142.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1146.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	434  

Last edited by OrcasGuy; 10-29-2013 at 01:28 AM.
OrcasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
Administrator

Looking good. I got one of those camping stoves:

It works great inside. I open the

dome

too. During the winter, I do a majority of my cooking on the wood stove.

I love the hammock idea!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado yurts, yurt platform