Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Rain Cover With Ventilation For Tono In Mongolian Ger?

Old 09-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Rain cover with ventilation for tono in Mongolian Ger?

This is new to me. I've never heard of a 'heat box' let alone seen one.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Member

James,

So it sounds like you're running the incoming cold air through your computer's heat sink? Wild! I'd be worried about condensation getting on the motherboard.

I was just trying to illustrate the general idea of bringing in cold air but

heating

it before it's released back into the yurt. I live in the Texas hill country, so heat is a much bigger issue than cold. In super cold weather I usually just button up, but I want to add a system to maintain a small amount of airflow. I was thinking of maybe usings some 12V computer case fans to bring in and pull out small amounts of air from the bottom in the winter. In my case I guess I'd just feed the input hose into my electric space heater. I've also thought about making a black roof cover for winter.

Scott
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 09-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Member

No Mother board just heat sink on Iron, you could probley us steal to, Do not worry about being New to this you will get the hang of it, just think outside the box or get a different box, look around you and try to understand how thinks work, Heat is nothing more then Adams moving really fast, cold is the opposite, so just figure out how to make the adam move really fast or slow if you want cold, that is just one way, you could also get Benjamin Franklin blue print on a real benjamin stove where you have a smouldring chamber, relase the gas fromt the wood, introduce the oxgen get a big flame wood will last about two week or a week and half before you have to fill the burner up again, you have just started down a wonderful path with yurts now let your imagnation fly with your dreams
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Member

I am not familer with the Texas hill country, can you dig down at least 9 to 10 feet where you can get a constant 53 degree temp to pull into your yurt then all you have to do is heat 53 degree temp to what you want, or if you can dig a hole 120 to 125 feet, put a U shape pipe in it put the soil back in it, now the two open ends that are above the ground put water in one end steam will come out the other, use the steam to heat or run a generator, I put it on a tesla turbine and spin two alternator for power and you can also catch the steam and turn it back into water and put it down the pipe again,
Old 09-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Member

Are you talking about an iron for ironing clothes? The computer heat sink I understand.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
No Mother board just heat sink on Iron, you could probley us steal to, Do not worry about being New to this you will get the hang of it, just think outside the box or get a different box, look around you and try to understand how thinks work, Heat is nothing more then Adams moving really fast, cold is the opposite, so just figure out how to make the adam move really fast or slow if you want cold, that is just one way, you could also get Benjamin Franklin blue print on a real benjamin stove where you have a smouldring chamber, relase the gas fromt the wood, introduce the oxgen get a big flame wood will last about two week or a week and half before you have to fill the burner up again, you have just started down a wonderful path with yurts now let your imagnation fly with your dreams
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
Yurt Forum Member

bingo, now wire the Iron straight, and put a varaible switch on it to control the heat
Old 09-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #17
Yurt Forum Member

you need more than one iron, and dimmer switch is what I used,
Old 09-24-2020, 03:50 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: Rain cover with ventilation for tono in Mongolian Ger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
....can you dig down at least 9 to 10 feet where you can get a constant 53 degree temp to pull into your yurt then all you have to do is heat 53 degree temp to what you want, ....
GAHT!

Some information about Ground to Air Heat Transfer

Donīt forget to read the Radon-section....
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Wow! Thanks for the ideas! We're just about done with the platform so am gonna be trying the 2x4 method idea from Bob to prop open the Toono. I'd love to do a window, but as it's a traditional yurt, there isn't one easily available.

For the actual heat source, I have an 8000 BTU heater. Not sure I can insulate enough to make that sufficient, but gonna try...
awong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None