Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Rain Cover With Ventilation For Tono In Mongolian Ger?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Rain cover with ventilation for tono in Mongolian Ger?

Hi everyone! I'm purchased a 20' used traditional Mongolian Ger recently and am trying to set it up as a playspace in my backyard in Seattle. We're going to enter the rainy season soon so was wondering if anyone had recommendations on how to keep the rain out of the Tono while also preserving some ventilation.

We're going to add a layer of Tyvek Homewrap under the canvas on the sides and roof. Between the Canvas an the Tyvek, we're hoping this keeps most of the rain out. And we'll be running space heaters on the inside. But I'm just not sure what to do with the Tono. The previous owners gave us a large square piece of plastic. While this will work, I'm worried it'll make the ger really stuffy.

Any cleaver solutions?

awong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Rain cover with ventilation for tono in Mongolian Ger?

I made a 'china cap' from sheet metal, that was about a half foot wider than the tono width, and slid it down over the stove pipe. The fit of cap to pipe was somewhat loose. I adjusted the fit of the cap to the tonoo for tight or loose fit like this: I simply took my broom handle and jambed/wedged it up on the stove pipe a few inches above the tono so the yurt breathed. When it rained or snowed I just poked the cap with the broom handle and let it drop down flat over the opening. That kept rain and snow out and heat in. Simple and effective. Hope this helps.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 09-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Another way would be to simply lay a length of 2x4 across the top of the tonoo, and let the cap lay on top of that during a rain. That would let the yurt breathe yet keep out rain.

btw I made my tono cap out of a piece of sheet metal from the Home Depot

heating

dept. Cut to the center of the sheet and cut a small hole in the middle. Slide the cut edges past eachother and you will form a 'china cap'. I eyeballed the roof pitch and matched the cap to that pitch. Mark and secure the cap position, and secure with machine screws.

Lay out a circle in the center slightly bigger than your stove pipe and cut the circle. You need to cut the hole AFTER the cap is formed, or you won't have a circular hole. Cut the outside to make a circle. Easy peasey. Have fun.
thebitmaster likes this.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

All the above assumes you have a stove pipe through the hole in the roof, holding the cap in place. This was my set up for winter use here in CO. I tie wired my single wall pipe so it stayed centered in the ring, regardless of how hard the wind blew. I installed screw eyes in the bottom of the ring and attached the wire to those. Absolutely bomb proof.

If you have no stove pipe, you can still tie wire the china cap in place using several screw eyes set in the ring. Leave enough slack in the wire that you can lay a 2x atop the ring to prop it up for ventilation. If you really need to hold in the heat or keep out all rain, remove the 2x and stash atop the wire, tight up under the ring. That should take out the slack so the cap doesn't hop up and down in the wind.

If the hole is smaller than a metal trash can lid, you can make a cap out of that. You might be able to hang a large umbrella up there. Think outside the box.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

they saind they was going to use space heater's so close the tono and open a window, if you do not have windows you the heater vents one inside connected to one outside with computer van pulling in the fresh air , it got cold in winter so I put some heat sink in the vent wired them so they would almost red hot air got real hot comming out of the vent and to hot in the yurt so I put it on a dimmer switch so I could control the heat on the heat sinks, between the Heat Sinks, and the modified wood stove, I could get the yurt with no

insulation

first year to 95 degree's and it being Minus 5 outside, and only filled my modified wood stove once a week when it was that cold for two weeks, once about every two week when it was plus 0
thebitmaster likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

James, I tried reading your post three times, which has ended up being two times too many. Come back and try again when you are sober.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

Lol Bob Rowlands I do not drink or drugs, I was tired tho I did a double shift,but if you put a vent out side for the fresh air use the

heating

duck tubes to bring the air into a medal box with heat sinks to warm the air and then bring the air into the yurt , you can close the tono and the windows and add warmth and fresh air in the winter.
thebitmaster likes this.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Well it's good to hear you are stone cold sober and work hard.

"...if you put a vent out side for the fresh air use the heating duck tubes to bring the air into a medal box with heat sinks to warm the air and then bring the air into the yurt ..."

Yo no comprendo.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Member

I *think* this is what James is talking about? In the winter you bring your fresh air into the yurt through a heat box attached to the stove so it comes out warm instead of cold. James, am I right?

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Lol Bob Rowlands I do not drink or drugs, I was tired tho I did a double shift,but if you put a vent out side for the fresh air use the heating duck tubes to bring the air into a medal box with heat sinks to warm the air and then bring the air into the yurt , you can close the tono and the windows and add warmth and fresh air in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A7163D9-4E01-44FD-8A4C-939342F1AEC9.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1230  

Last edited by thebitmaster; 09-16-2020 at 03:45 PM.
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

That is the Idea, but instead of using the stove which would have been simpler, I complicated and used the heat sink from computer's (Main Frame) but same Idea, how do they use the stove to do it
thebitmaster likes this.

Tags
None