Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Land Clearing Costs

Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Land Clearing Costs

you know you could process the tree yourself, cut all the wood for your yurt and the interior for it, you could also use some of the stumps for footers you process the stump right just leave them in the ground, and put regular footer around them, if the stumps are in a good place, if not drill holes in the stump and plant fruit trees in them, Hey Bob when you start your own channel let me know I will be the first subscriber, or partner, qualfication , son of and Iron Worker/Farmer, Grandfarther a Tinker/Farmer, me Marine/factory worker/computer repair/builder of yurts/Farmer you know I am full of B.S. lol
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:35 AM   #12
Administrator

The problem with putting footers anywhere near stumps or using stumps AS footers is that they rot.

The previous owner of my home had in fact, buried a bunch of stumps and then put a deck over it. Well, 10 years later and with me as the owner, a huge depression appeared and knocked the deck way off kilter. The stumps had rotted. I had to bring 5 dump truck loads of fill in, then smooth it all out, and then reconfigure the deck.

A small side note, but here in NY, you're not even allowed to transport stumps. You are basically required to bury them on site or burn them, which to me is just insane.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Member

wow new york sucks, but once you have your notch or screw hole or what ever you are using to attached to the stump, take it off soak it in apple vinegar it will petrify the stump, and when it's wet attach what ever cause once it dries then you will need dimand tip or ruby tipped drill bits or saw blades so are you allow to grow fruit trees out of the stumps
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

Wow that is interesting about growing fruit trees from stumps. Reminds me of coppicing shoots. I read somewhere that yurt walls have been built from coppiced shoots. I made my grandsons a couple of nice walking sticks from coppiced shoots a few years ago. The sap was up and the bark peeled off very easily.

Building a foundation over unconsolidated fill is not good. Building a foundation over organic material is even worse. Foundation excavator STOPS at a particular depth, and DOES NOT refill to hit a particular grade. The footer needs to sit on virgin soil. The inspector checks for that very condition BEFORE the footer is placed. This is a classic example of why I like building department inspections. Way too much crap gets pulled otherwise.

Building any project over uncompacted organic fill is foolish. Biodegradable fill is going to settle over time as the buried material rots away.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

Side note not about yurts. The deadly 1989 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco- you know... the one that happened while sports broadcaster Al Michaels was calling a World Series game- that quake destroyed some buildings in San Francisco that were built on 'unengineered' fill from a century ago. I saw some of those buildings first hand. My bro in law is a san fran cop and took us on a tour through the closed area. Quite a few cops got side jobs doing construction on the rebuild.

Back to yurts.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Member

Will you have a wood stove? If so there is the start of next years firewood . You can get a stump grinder, or cut as close to the ground as possible . We have a couple of stumps under our Yurt. Looks like your going to need a chainsaw . Good luck!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Youngin

Wow - sorry I stopped getting the rest of this thread in my email inbox - had no idea there were more replies!

I am using a pellet stove because I want the heat as automated as possible and prefer not to have to chop wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
Will you have a wood stove? If so there is the start of next years firewood . You can get a stump grinder, or cut as close to the ground as possible . We have a couple of stumps under our Yurt. Looks like your going to need a chainsaw . Good luck!
amaralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

Update: I got a 2 more quotes one for $4500 and another for $2,500 (and that guy said that was the HIGH end of what the bill would be).

Should I worry that the $2500 was verbal? The guy seemed pretty informal.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaralice View Post
Should I worry that the $2500 was verbal? The guy seemed pretty informal.
Yeah sounds good, if he is insured. Might not hurt to ask around about him.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

Helpful Jafo - thanks!

Tags
None