Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Insulation--alternate Forms

Old 01-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Insulation--alternate forms

I need yurt insulation--I didn't get it originally for fire-safety reasons (melty & burny

insulation

in a place heated by fire and one exit is _not_ a good idea...). I want a portable & relatively durable yurt, prefering renewable materials. It is a traditional-style yurt.

I like the idea of felt, but don't have any cheap sources unless I want to make it (requires lots of hours...). Fiberglass would compress under the canvas weight; mineral wool would crumble with too much handling.

My final conclusion was to use wool-blend blankets. Not terribly thick, but I can layer up ($100-400/layer). My idea is as follows: yurt frame, light cotton liner, wool-blend blankets, burlap, linen, burlap, wool-blend blanket, tyvek, canvas.

The idea is to use the liner for appearance/reflect light, use the blanket as

insulation

& to prevent air currents, burlap will act as a spacer while the linen will prevent air currents between burlap layers, another layer of blanket for 'real' insulation and to prevent air currents, tyvek as a water barrier, and finally the waterproof canvas. Cotton utility blankets could be added in there somewhere, too, if this isn't enough.

Thoughts & ideas?

hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Insulation--alternate forms

Just curious how you made out with the insulation. I am currently considering the purchase of a yurt and I am looking into the details.

I also like the felt idea seeing as that is traditional.
annieoaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 07-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I purchased a wool-blend blanket material in rolls (~5' wide, 100 meters long, 4 rolls). Figured out how to make a cone from a two dimensional sheet, then how to make the larger sheet from the material I had (attempting mini-scale patterns was well worth the effort for trouble-shooting/perfecting purposes). I still have more sewing to do, but it's summer and I haven't had the yurt up for a couple months. I'll certainly post more when winter comes!
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ah very clever. I look forward to an update when the seasons change.
annieoaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

"Reflectix" type insulation has proved to be very helpful for me. I think if you have enough material up there, you should be fine. The only concern is that it doesn't compact under a heavy load, however, I found that snow is the best insulator, so you'll have time to figure it out I'm sure.

Where is it that you found rolls of wool blended blankets?
Kiwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

From a wool mill in India (See these two posts). There's a number of options, though--N American wool mills might have something too.

Tags
None