Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Help With Waterproofing My Yurt Crown??

Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Help With Waterproofing My Yurt Crown??

Looking more carefully at those photos it is evident water has pooled on the plate that the eight spokes rest upon. That might be from interior condensation, or might be from exterior leaks at the plex segments.

Covering the entire upper structure with a

dome

would seem to be be one way to keep out the water, if you just can't stop the leaks. A less traditional type option would be to replace the entire upper assembly with a more modern lid, with operable hatch to let out moist air. Wish I had better advice. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you, Bob. Yes.... my senses tell me there is condensation inside the crown wood. I'm leaning towards getting a

dome

fabricated to cover the entire crown (if possible), but still not sure who to ask, to do such a job. Can you think of any one and/ or company that could fabricate a dome for me? (Without my spending a forture... ?) ;-/
Redwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

Sorry, I know zip about plexi domes and their cost. Hopefully one of the fine yurt manufacturers or other members on this site might advise you. My guess is anyone that makes these domes is going to be well compensated for their product. Frankly before spending big money on that option, I would hose it down, look for obvious leaks, and otherwise just silicone the snot out of that dude before -bailing- on it. lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm not sure I have to much to add but I would look at contacting the folks at

Groovy Yurts

. I purchased a Mongolian ger from them last year and the help has been wonderful throughout. They're handmade in Mongolia and the people from the company have incredible knowledge of the products and may know some possible solutions for the issue you have.

The yurt I purchased is designed quite differently. Its a flatter dome with a 2 or 3 inch lip on the outer side of the tonoo. Underneath that a housewrap that extends several feet out is stapled underneath the lip with a small amount of silicon caulking to seal. Along with that I use a clear vinyl urgh or topflap that keeps water off the dome itself since my panels aren't waterproof. I doubt this solution would be feasible with your design but that's my setup and it kept my completely dry after this weeks downpour in Alaska.

I hope this helped. Thanks
Cdeloof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

The idea of putting a vinyl dome with skirt, like the main yurt manufactures provide would keep the water out and still give you a view of the sky and light. For the stove vent you could go with a vent boot to keep the rain out.

If the main yurt companies cannot help, any upholstery team should be able to get that made for not too much. If your location is close to water, look for an upholstery team who works on boats.

Nice looking woodwork!
pinermel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None