Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Getting Someone With A Forklift To Unload My Yurt Delivery?

Old 05-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Getting Someone with A Forklift to Unload My Yurt Delivery?

So in mid June I am finally expecting the delivery of my 30ft Smiling Woods Yurt. You are required to have a forklift onsite to unload the pallets. I have no idea how to find someone with a forklift to do that job for me in Pennsylvania. I know where forklifts can be rented but I don't have any idea how to safely operate one so I would prefer to pay someone with a lift. Any suggestions on how to find such a person? Angie's list, Homeadvisor don't really seem to have a place for soliciting that kind of job.

amaralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Getting Someone with A Forklift to Unload My Yurt Delivery?

I would look on Craigslist myself. You don't have to restrict it to just forklifts, but any equipment that can use forks: tractors, Bobcats, etc.. My neighbor did it for me with his Bobcat. Most contractors in your area probably have these.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 05-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Maybe an engine hoist? I just used one to put a Vermont casting Vigilant in the back of my truck..Also, a chain hoist off a tree branch?
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Forklift huh? Better call Biden for forklift money. Why the heck the shipper thinks someone gonna provide a forklift for offloading a yurt at a rural address in the Maine woods cracks me up. Tell the driver to install the ramp under the bed and take snips, break the bands, break the load down off the pallet and slide/carry it off. Also a hand dolly might come in handy. I have slid/balanced loads down the ramp on a flat dolly. Forklift. Ha!
TSRalex likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 05-11-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Why the heck the shipper thinks someone gonna provide a forklift for offloading a yurt at a rural address in the Maine woods cracks me up.
Agree with that.

Usually the incoterm for such deliveries to end-customers is DPU (Delivered at Place Unloaded).
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

My biz partner and I stocked many hundreds of appliances and untold thousands of cabinets and doors in the places we trimmed. I mean MANY THOUSANDS not a few hundred. On apartments we would hand unload the trailer and stock the units. Example 96 fridge, range, and wall mount air conditioner in a 32 unit complaex in one day. And when done THEN get to work. ha In fact I'm about to stock a job for my son in a couple hours. Barn job, all solid core doors and trim up stairs to second level. But I'm retired. That really ain't work it's just farting around. lol

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 05-12-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Did break a sweat doing that. 20 rise U shaped stair or 13' height from garage slab to living level upstairs. 8 solid core doors, ~50 sticks 3.75" mdf casing 8' long, 27 -16' sticks mdf base 8" wide. In anfd out in less than two hours. So basically I packed loads from maybe 90 lbs down to about 25 pounds up about fifty storeys. So I'd think unloading a yurt is no problemo. If the load is on pallets, break it down and get after it.

Biked 37 miles in 3:15 the next day (yesterday) and did not break a sweat though. 11.2mph. Just get in the zone and ride. Don't be afraid of work it is good 4 u.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

So here's my update: I rented a forklift for about $900 (far more expensive than I had budgeted) and found an operator from Craigslist who I paid about $200. The guy arrived COMPLETELY high but still did an AMAZING job and went above and beyond moving things around.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iSzjiVJWCvbTvAZW7
Old 08-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
So, guys, what do you think, what is better to use in such a situation, a forklift, a tractor, a bobcat, or an engine hoist? My smiling woods yurt will be delivered by the end of the next week, so I have to plan it all right now. A friend of mine told me to use an engine hoist. However, I am not really sure about that. I mean, it is not maneuvrable at all, that is why I think that a tractor or maybe a forklift would be the better choice. Actually, I need a forklift at my depot, so I might buy one. I've found some great forklifts at https://anguslifttrucks.co.uk/forklift-sales-uk. The price is also great. I think I am going for a forklift.
Not sure how the other equipment would work but a forklift is well suited for the job.

Tags
smiling woods yurts