Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Different Options For Khana (small Yurts)

Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Different options for khana (small yurts)

Hello again

I'm building a few different 14 foot yurts to get started in yurt building, trying out different materials and techniques. Walls are 160cm high.

I followed advice to use 8mm x 40mm (1/4" x 1 1/2") slats for my first yurt.

They're working fine but have quite a lot of flex in them - now I also want build yurts that can take the weight of snow.

I like working with the thin, flexible slats and wondered if I increase my roof pole number (from 32 to 40), then I will have to make a lattice that's correspondingly tighter together, with more cross-over points. (I could increase cross overs on each lath from 7 to 9)

Is adding more cross-over points a good enough way to strengthen a wall, or would it be better to go for sturdier timber?

I also have the option of 15mm x 35mm laths, but soft wood is all that's available.

Thanks for any input!

Charlie

Yurts_latvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Different options for khana (small yurts)

I've built 12', 14', and 16' yurts. I ripped the wall lath from clear pine 2x4 studs, 8' long. Walls laths were 5/16ths" x 1.5" clear pine, 90" long, with lath crosses 12" center to center, holes 3" in from top and bottom of lath. 84" equals 8 lath crosses. Wall was about 64" tall.

I had a max snow load up there on the 16'er of like 1.5' with no issue at all. 36 1x3 rafters, plywood ring, 32" in diameter, 22" smoke hole. That yielded a 5" wide ring of .75" plywood, top and bottom. 2 rafters over door, the rest on the lath crosses. So that said, there is so much redundancy in laths that weight bearing is no issue at all, in my experience.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

For a bigger yurt like 20' or 6 meters, I'd go bigger on laths. Your 15x35 lath sound about right. Here in the states 3/4" thick wall lath is common on big yurts.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thumbs up Re: Different options for khana (small yurts)

Hi Bob,

Well thank you so much for your very informative response - it really takes help and guidance from a forum to new levels for me

It's great to hear that you were using very similar dimensions and pattern for your khana and were successful!

My wood is slightly knotty, but I figure if I have (or provide) spare laths, they could be quickly replaced should an emergency require it.

My roof poles are actually a bit lighter weight than yours (45 x 18mm = 1.7 x 0.7 inches) but since my yurt is smaller, and the ring bigger, they only need to span 180cm. I might still make 40 of them rather than 36 to be on the safe side...

Thanks again for your invaluable help, experience is priceless!
Yurts_latvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

You're welcome.

Yeah, you do NOT need absolutely clear lath. I just have a carpenters habit of eyeballing lumber for clear wood and tight straight grain, and buy those if I see them.

Pin knots are usually not a problem. Loose knots and encased knots CAN be a problem if they are wider than 1/3rd the width of the lath. But if a lath breaks, big deal. It can be replaced easy enough. When you assemble the khana, cull the really bad laths. That's what I did.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I was looking at pre-built yurts and saw this design for wind and snow loads. If one put posts with gussets at the bottom of every rafter, how much do you think it would change the snow load and or span ability?

Ref: https://www.coloradoyurt.com/yurts/wind-snow/
AutumnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Ask the company for tech details?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnDawn View Post
I was looking at pre-built yurts and saw this design for wind and snow loads. If one put posts with gussets at the bottom of every rafter, how much do you think it would change the snow load and or span ability?
I am assuming you mean the stud supports on the end of the rafters that are attached?

These came with my snow/wind package for my Pacific Yurt and they definitely increase the snow load, that is to say, it transfers it to the foundation. Your deck, foundation, pad, whatever your yurt is sitting on still has to handle that weight.

Now if you are leaving your yurt up in the deep snow, unoccupied, you can also bolster the

center ring

with 4X4's during the winter. If you are actually staying in it year round, the snow slides right off the roof due to the heat in the yurt so snow load is not as big an issue.
TSRalex likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None