Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Cost Of Yurt Platform Build

Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Cost of Yurt Platform Build

Hi All,

our 24' yurt has been ordered & now we are getting ready to build the platform. We had originally thought we would do this ourselves, but now for a variety of reasons, feel like we should have a contractor build it for us.

Can anyone give us a ball park figure of how much building a platform for a 24' pacific yurt should cost? I'm assuming

insulation

as well.

thanks for any & all input.

Last edited by Jafo; 03-04-2015 at 06:46 AM.
mama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: cost of platform build

A LOT of variables here. My platform for a 30' yurt was about $7,000 uninsulated, but that price could have been higher or lower depending on many conditions. I was using 2X6 T&G and had a log of excavating to do. I also had the platform up almost 4 feet in the air on one side. Like I said, a lot of variables.
mama23 likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Cost of Yurt Platform Build

Thanks Jafo - I understand there are a ton of variables, but appreciate the info all the same. Its all good data at this point.
mama23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

I'm a pro carpenter. To get a real world idea what the deck will cost, you need to get three written bids for your deck from locals in your area.

'No way' can costs be ballparked on your platform online by folks that haven't a clue about your site, area, etc., because there are so many unknowns. The materials and labor are totally dependent on the site, platform design, earth moving, the accessibility of the site, how far from a city or town, and various other factors.

To get an idea on reasonable labor costs, whatever car/truck dealerships are charging hourly in your area, independent carpenters will be about half that. If you have a contractor that supervises subs to do the work, -for you that would mean a 'turnkey' platform so to speak- he will have his fee on top of the subs involved. We will take run the whole project. Competent independent carpenters can also do this they will know other subs to call.

Alot of times you have to go by gut on who you sense is competent. Don't just hire the first outfit that shows up. Any contractor you meet who is polite, listens to you, is detail oriented, make notes -preferably on paper- is likely a good candidate. Good luck
mama23 likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Really can't tell how much it would cost you, but can assure you that you can do it yourself. I did, too.

I could tell you my platform did cost me about $800 on materials, but that's irrelevant as I'm in a different country.
mama23 likes this.
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

I'll add that the 16' dia. platform I built cost ~= $700. It is 8" from the ground to the top of the deck. 2x4 frame standanding up on edge on 19.2" centers, anchored to 46 4" concrete pads sitting on top the ground. Not buried. 2x6 decking. The decking painted with two coats ext. grade latex. No

insulation

. That was a mistake.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

FWIW I went with pads atop the ground instead of piers because pads aren't considered permanent. No permit required, and no additional property tax. Imagine that.
Jafo and mama23 like this.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

Our 30' cost around $10000, but we did a concrete slab, raised the deck above that by ~4 feet, then walled it in and insulated those walls to protect from the -50 degree nights we get sometimes in Northern MN.
mama23 likes this.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None