Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Any Successful New York State Code Divisions Approvals

Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Any successful New York State Code Divisions Approvals

I am looking into the possibility of building a yurt in Rensselaer County, NY. The code enforcement agent was kind enough to not laugh off my idea (as my friends and family have done) and said the

insulation

would be a problem BUT he appreciates reflective

insulation

and will consider it, with more information. We have not even looked into financing, etc because I wanted to be sure its allowed in any propspective town. Code enforcement said he will be using NY State Code Division to find any successful appeals to make this possible. We are planning on adding

Pacific Yurts

Snow and Wind Kit with Perimeter Blocking to meet IBC. But the insulation and foundation remain an issue. SOOO does anyone know of any successful year round yurts that were granted appeals through NY State Code Divisions?

klhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Any successful New York State Code Divisions Approvals

Do you mean as a full time residence or something else?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Full time, all year round. The propsective sites all have no wells, perc tests, septic, etc. so we would need to provide all of that as well. Too big a job??
We would have this as our only and primary residence, mailing address, etc.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Administrator

For the site itself, it will be just like building any other home, same costs.

I have a hard time seeing you getting a residential permit without adequate insulation. It is easy to get the wall insulation up to code, but the roof insulation is much more of a challenge. The main problem being, how to vent

moisture

without losing heat. Unless you come up with a satisfactory answer to that, I just don't see them signing off on it.

I really think the big manufacturers need to get this figured out if they ever want to seriously make inroads in residential structures in the Northeast.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the input. It is so frustrating meeting all these challenges. I thought the yurt was the perfect solution to the affordable housing crisis, while being ecologically sound as well. Now it seems like the system will not allow such a structure. It boggles my mind- I can buy a 200 year old mold infested, radon leaking, lead paint covered, asbestos filled, energy inefficient house and move right in. But I try to build a safe, energy efficient, clean, affordable home- and I'm blocked. Sorry to gripe, I just wish there was more of a liberal viewpoint on allowing people to live in the dwelling of their choosing, thats not a 2,000 square foot behemoth that comes with a 30 year ball-and-chain mortgage.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Administrator

I hear you. The same policies that try to make things more efficient, have unintended consequences in other green areas.
klhandler likes this.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Manufacturer Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhandler View Post
Full time, all year round. The propsective sites all have no wells, perc tests, septic, etc. so we would need to provide all of that as well. Too big a job??
We would have this as our only and primary residence, mailing address, etc.
If you want to 'DIY' have you considered building in Vermont on the eastern border of Rensselaer County? VT has no zoning in rural areas and very lenient if any building codes outside of urban areas. Many folks happily living in yurts here including some of our past clients.

We do have clients in Ulster County, NY on your southern border currently living in our yurts full time as a primary residence (with kids). All legal with building permit and after the yurt installation they passed building inspection.

As with any new construction the cost of

heating

, drilling a well, plumbing and electric systems may well be more expensive than the actual shelter itself. If you use composting toilet combined with an approved grey water system no need to dig septic (this saves money and water).

The person handling things with the codes officer has to be familiar with the NYS codes and have all the answers for the agency (not questions), otherwise they will assume you don't know what you are doing. After all it is their job to keep people safe.

Have you considered hiring an experienced professional contractor to design/build the platform and consult on these issues for you? The codes officer may be more comfortable with someone who speaks their language.
klhandler and elewis33 like this.
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

That's an excellent idea- building in Vermont. I will need to consider that of NY proves to be too resistent. Although the success in Ulster County is something of a buoy. The code officer in our new prospective town has invited me to flood him with information on other successful yurts in the area. He is very open to the idea, as long as it can be proven to conform.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Manufacturer Representative
Shelter Designs

The insulation codes have been a major roadblock for many prospective yurt buyers in the past looking to be "above board" and get a residential permit issued. We have seen it too many times and agree with Jafo, it is time manufacturers do something about it. We have taken the bull by the horns and are currently working with a local building department here in Montana to get three yurts fully permitted for residential use. We have designed a fabric yurts that meets the insulation codes (R49 roof, R21 walls and R30 walls), has a full ventilation system between the exterior fabric roof and insulation, meets flame spread ratings, and meets all snow and wind loading requirements. (75 lb ground snow load and 90 mph Exp C winds) The engineering analysis is being run now, and full drawings will be submitted very soon. After many meetings with the local inspector we are very positive that the project will go through and be approved.

Our client is ready and willing to do the full site plan, install a septic system and well, and basically jump through all of the hoops. The overall project will be expensive, but with our design the actual cost of the "codebreaker yurts" are not that much more expensive than yurts insulated with the radiant barrier. We are really excited about this development, it is past time that we figure out how to not have our clients hide or move somewhere that has less enforcement.

This is a pilot project of

Shelter Designs

and is still unfolding. Rest assured though,

Shelter Designs

is committed to solving the code dilemma and taking fabric yurts to the next level for those who want to go there. We will keep you all up to date as we move forward.
klhandler likes this.
Shelter Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

That's encouraging to hear. The code enforcement agent suggested I go to any prospective yurt company and ask for these engineering specs, regarding insulation and wind/snow load. I understand his point- it's his job to keep us safe. But based on my research- yurts are safe and energy efficient and well insulated! I look forward to your updates!

Tags
pacific yurts