Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Any Good Books On Building A Yurt?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Any good books on building a yurt?

Hello,
I just bought 14 acres of land and im looking for alternative ways of living and I want to build a yurt.
I woodwork as a hobby so I know my way around wood, machinery, and hand tools. There is also a place near me that specializes in canvas for trucks etc. I am planning on seeing how much their canvas is.

Are there any good books on building you own yurt? There is nothing on my land and I need to start building something as soon as the weather breaks. Ive looked for books and there doesnt seem to be to many out there on actually building them from scratch.
I have questions like the platform, what the best mterial, shape, and design. It will be an all weather yurt so should I insulate the platform? Whats the best non toxic

insulation

to use?
What size should the lattice be? I see a bunch of different thicknesses and materials being talked about.

Or if anyone can answer my questions, I would be greatful. I am hoping to start building in about a month or 6 weeks. What have people spent on building their own yurt from scratch?

Thank you for your help

njtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Any good books on building a yurt?

None better than this listed below by Bob Rowlands
Anyone interested in learning how to actually build a yurt from scratch should go to:

Clan yama kaminari

Click on 'make it' on the left side of the page. Plans for 12', 14', & 16' yurt there. I built the 14' and 16' versions.
YurterRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I studied this extensively before erecting a custom built 22' yurt and the instructions worked like a charm.
I did vary on the ring and went with my own design and it has turned out great. Greatest fun I have had in a while. Been having cook outs and camp outs and people visit and observe the yurt with lots of compliments on the structure, I say go for it.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks,
That looks interesting, how much did you spend on construction?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

There are a few other resources in addition to the clan yama kaminari

yurt plans

The Simply Differently webpage has a lot of details about the fellow's particular build, and also a number of online calculators that will give you some ideas of how much material you'll need and how to put it all together.

Paul King's The Complete Yurt Handbook also has details & a basic tutorial on building a yurt.

A rough estimate on yurt materials costs, if you purchase everything at retail, would be around $500-1500. Mind you, a very rough estimate. A sewing machine and various tools will be needed, plus a platform. Cheap platforms could be as low as $200 if you really scrounge; my 20 ft platform was probably around $600 (wood & nails, tarps & strawbales, plus a two yards of gravel). It's possible to just put a yurt on the ground (if you don't have water saturation during spring snow melt/flooding & put down a strong

moisture

barrier).
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

njtool, You might be interested in going here:

clan yama kaminari

click on make it, then click on yurt build. I built the 16' and 14' versions.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks Bob,
Someone suggested that link and it was informative. I have to start with the pad and there is a build thread that im following that is interesting.
I would like to make the lattice before I move since I have the machinery where I am now and there is no power on the land unless I get a generator.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtool View Post
Thanks,
That looks interesting, how much did you spend on construction?
I simply used items (unconventional as they may be) that I had on hand that served the purpose of erecting the yurt so well. My costs were so little due to that fact. It's like it was meant to be, in my case, and it just came together. I'd be tempted to say effortlessly, but it was some hard work but well worth the effort.
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Generators are great when you are far from a shop. I find I can 'get after it' with one, and fiddly fart around, without.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ive been researching a lot and I have a question. Whats the standard, best, safest dimensions for the pieces of lathe? I might be able to get cedar that's just under 3/4" thick. How wide should I cut each piece for the lathe pieces? 3/4"? 1"? 1.25"???
I would like to know asap so I can figure out how much wood I need for the lathe

Any suggestions?

Tags
None