Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Almost Done!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Almost done!

Was wondering, what did your billboard material cost? Where did you get it from?

I'm thinking of putting up a protective, sacrificial layer on my yurt so I won't have to worry about replacing the canvas as much, or cleaning it. I'd prefer white as well to keep heat load in summer down... So far, I'm tempted by lumber tarps (free if you can patch them/join them), plastic sheeting, and bill board material.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #22
Yurt Forum Member

Just a quick note about air infiltration- you want it.
I insulated my yurt very tight, 6" of Roxul

insulation

, every nook and cranny sealed tight and found myself with significant fatigue and other health issues. I was encouraged to get fresh air I into the yurt. I felt better, I mean significantly better in days.
Also if there is no ventilation

moisture

will build up.
The obvious

moisture

can be vented- it's the subtle ways moisture collects and mold grows
Just a thought
Jafo and hierony like this.
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 04-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #23
Yurt Forum Addict

Well, I'm coming from the perspective of 'yurts are usually drafty and thus cold' unless one intentionally seals everything up tight, such as it sounds like you did--nicely done! Here we're talking about a DIY yurt though--notoriously drafty. A good point about ventilation, though. So I did some reading to figure out appropriate rates.

Basic idea: a room/building contains a certain volume of air (see Jafo's volume thread), that air goes 'stale' if it just sits in the yurt so you want to swap it out or change it every so often. Usually expressed in 'air changes per hour', or ach. Incredibly drafty, delapidated house: 8 ach. Really tight modern house: 0.35 ach or less. Avg US home: 1-2 ach (internet source). Once you know the numbers, you get the corresponding fan. Or just open your crown ring if you feel like winging it

Turns out people disagree how much to ventilate. One reasonable internet engineering source suggests 4 ach min for most spaces but 1-2 ach for residences (10-18 ach for cooling down your house at night). There's an ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.1 or 62.2 which in general gives 7.5 cfm per person plus 1-3 cfm per 100 sq ft. So one person in a 20' yurt would need a 11-17 cfm fan. For Pacific's regular 20' yurt, that'd be 0.27-0.42 ach. Some would say ASHRAE estimates are way too high. Control your contaminant sources and you can go way lower. Btw, 20 cfm would be a tiny, really quiet, continuously running bathroom fan--a little goes a long ways.

Ventilation is important:
-It gets ride of chemicals (cleaning solvents; outgassing composite materials, mainly when heated; candle/kerosene fumes, etc)
-It controls humidity (helps prevent condensation potentially leading to mold/miildew)
-It vents things like cigarette smoke/nasty fumes, cooking vapors
-Provides makeup air for wood stoves
-Too much wastes heat

A simple test--does the air smell musty/stale? If yes, ventilate. Is relative humidity high (>50% during winter; not the South/Tropics)? If yes, ventilate. Burning something? Ventilate. Otherwise, I would guess you're probably fine (unless you start feeling ill for no other reasons...).
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Youngin

The billboard material was relatively inexpensive! i paid about 300 bucks for the thicker (13mil i believe) for a 25'x50' piece!! Good idea with the belly straps i added one. The design i have should not necessarily need one but i have to refit my cover a bit so its tighter. Im looking to buy a felt liner now! any word on where to get bulk felt? You yurt people are great !

You may not even need a pulley as my yurt is a bit to tall... I believe it would be easy enough to fold your cover up properly, choke loop some rope around it, run the rope down through your ring then open your door and pull hard. After that you could tie it off to the door or a tree. Then climb through the center and unfold around you. (sorry for that terrible paragraph.)
ktm2racing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #25
Yurt Forum Addict

Hmm, felt. Spendy stuff. I got several quotes/estimates before I decided to go with wool-blanket material that I thought would be a bit more adaptable. From what I've read, actual yurts in mongolia have something like 1 to 5 layers or more of felt, each 3/8-1/2" thick, depending on weather.

Industrially, felt in the US is often needled (poked with lots of little tapered needles) to get the wool to form a mat/felt. This is used for various industries (felt washers seem important...). Traditional mongolian felt is done by rolling layered wool behind a horse/camel (youtube it--kinda amusing/cool). Commercially, this would be done with a rolling machine--in the US this is usually done for artistic purposes or as cottage industry on small sheep farms/wool mills. As wool is a natural fiber, moths naturally seek it out for food--treatment with a moth repellant may be advised. Also, it is often mixed with synthetic fibers.

My yurt (6m dia, 6' walls, 5' dia ring) has ~675 sq ft of wall/roof area to insulate. Don't know how different your's would be.

You can get needle-felted eco-wool from The Felt Company. Their 1/8" thick stuff is $0.60/sq ft in bulk, plus shipping.

There is also ~7/16" wool carpet underlayment/padding from EarthWeave. Talking to them, they're asking $0.94/sq ft, plus shipping.

Groovy Yurts has spare/extra felts for their yurts--for 1/2-1" thickness, his prices are pretty reasonable (20' is a 5 waller; w/tall walls it's a Super Ger). Est $2.80/sq ft. If it fits, that's a lot less sewing to do...

My 70% wool-blend blanket material was 475g/m^2 and $0.16/sq ft for material plus $0.24/sq ft to ship from N.A.N. Woollen Mills in India. I got enough for two layers so I can put whatever between the two to add

insulation

as needed.

Felt material is often recycled, especially the synthetic stuff--who knows what's actually in it anymore? Jute/synthetic/blends of carpet padding can be pretty cheap, maybe $0.15/sq ft or less. Like free if you scrounge scraps
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #26
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the deets.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #27
Yurt Forum Youngin

thats great!! the wool blend blanket material sounds like the ticket!! i just need one layer too! Ill keep you up to date Thanks for the detailed reply
ktm2racing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 PM   #28
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm2racing2001 View Post
thats great!! the wool blend blanket material sounds like the ticket!! i just need one layer too! Ill keep you up to date Thanks for the detailed reply
Oh, should mention--if you try to use NAN Mills, they have a very large minimum order. Something like a cargo containers worth. They will offer extra rolls (25 meters worth) from current production runs, however--I got four rolls. ~$3/meter 60"wide material plus ~$5/mtr shipping.

To be honest, with diligence you could probably find similar material in the US for about the same. Scout out the materials at JoAnns or the like, wait for a 75% off coupon and it'd probably be cheaper. Or talk to a small shop, see if they can't get some of it in their next big order (ie, avoid shipping costs).

Best of luck!

Tags
None