Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Looking For Feedback On My Floor Plan

Old 04-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Looking for feedback on my floor plan

Hi everyone!

I'd love to get some feedback on my floor plan for a 8.2m (27ft) yurt. This is for a permanent living space for a couple with 2 small children.

This plan is still a bit rough, but the main areas are already planned, and we placed some of our furniture to check if we could fit inside or not We are including a kitchen and a bathroom in it too.

But since we dont have yurt living experience, what we would really love is to get some feedback and check if we are committing some newbie mistakes

top view

perspective view

any help is appreciated!

nunodonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Looking for feedback on my floor plan

Have you considered a loft?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
Have you considered a loft?
oops, forgot to include that in my post!

that's what the stairs are for! the loft is the "ceiling" of the rooms and toilet, so almost half the yurt. But because the height is not that high, we are not planning to have anything very "usable" in their, mostly storage and a place for the kids to play!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Administrator

Well I would suggest against putting the toilet upstairs.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Well I would suggest against putting the toilet upstairs.
maybe I didnt explain properly. the picture is the ground floor, where are the rooms are. the ceiling is the floor of the loft, it will be just an empty open space
Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
Administrator

Sorry, read that wrong. I think the plan is workable. If that is a wood stove, you may want to consider a couple things. You will need space between it and combustibles and the hearth usually is required to extend 18" in front of the door to protect against fire when sparks fall out the door while adding wood. You will also need space for a unit to hold firewood, such as a small wood ring. This way you don't have to run outside every time you need to add wood to the fire.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Sorry, read that wrong. I think the plan is workable. If that is a wood stove, you may want to consider a couple things. You will need space between it and combustibles and the hearth usually is required to extend 18" in front of the door to protect against fire when sparks fall out the door while adding wood. You will also need space for a unit to hold firewood, such as a small wood ring. This way you don't have to run outside every time you need to add wood to the fire.
yeah we are still not quite sure about how to organize the living room space, and we are aware we need a lot of safety distance from the woodstove (the black "cube")
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Administrator

If money is not a great issue, you may want to consider radiant heat, else the bedroom doors will probably need to be open in the winter to let heat in. Radiant floor

heating

will heat all rooms, can be zoned and will open up more floor space as you won't need the stove. Just a thought.
Yurtnomad2017 likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
If money is not a great issue, you may want to consider radiant heat, else the bedroom doors will probably need to be open in the winter to let heat in. Radiant floor

heating

will heat all rooms, can be zoned and will open up more floor space as you won't need the stove. Just a thought.
money is an issue
yeah I've thought about it.. probably we do need to keep the doors open at least in the beginning, and then close when things are warmer. I guess the radiant heat from the wood stove can keep things warm even with the doors closed
Old 04-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
Administrator

It would be less of an issue if you didn't have the loft, because you could use a fan to push heat down. With the loft, you are really going to restrict radiant heat because the walls will be blocking it. However, some strategically placed vents, with muffin fans, might just do the trick.

What location are you in if you don't mind me asking? Climate has to be considered here too I would think.