Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Insulation

Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Insulation

Thanks CM......can you expend a bit re how you insulated the floor, other materials, vapor barrier, critter protection on the underside, how you supported the batts, etc???
Is your

dome

clear or tinted?
If you're inclined to post more pics, we would love to see them.
djspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #32
Yurt Forum Member

I'll try and explain the floor

insulation

. As I mentioned, I got the

insulation

batts from a commercial construction site. They were going to be thrown away so I got enough to do the floor and to insulate a utility building that I use for storage. For the floor, I stapled the batts using the paper wings that come attached. I also used insulation stays, which are individually cut heavy wire that bend between the floor joists and hold the insulation in place. I was able to acquire some new landfill liner to act as a vapor barrier. If you are unaware of landfill liner, it is a heavy black plastic that is reinforced with unbreakable fibers that make it really strong. It is designed to hold the runoff from landfills so that it can be redirected into ponds so it is some tough stuff. It was another item that was being discarded so I got enough to do the underside of the floor. It is attached with Heavy staples and reinforced with stripping along the underside of the floor joists. So far no problem with pests, after five years. My

dome

is clear, which serves a good purpose in the winter, but in the summer it lets the sun stream in for approx. three hours. The hoola hoops with the space blankets let's me slip them in in the summer and then take them out in the winter. It's the best thing I've come up with to cut down on the direct suns heat.
Jafo likes this.
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #33
Yurt Forum Member

Something I'd like to add is that I chose the 24 ft. yurt primarily because building materials are often sized in lengths that are easily divisible with the 24 ft. size. I hope this makes sense. It's much easier to find 8' or twelve' lengths of materials, whereas 10' or 20' are harder to find. I've found that if I keep my eyes open as well as my imagination, I can get lots of free stuff just for coming to pick it up. I look at it as a big experiment!
Jafo, Marshall Eppley and yurtnoob like this.
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi My name is Ishmiel I have 3

Pacific yurts

on my land... I live in Santa Barbara the climate is temperate so have not felt the need to do the Denim
I have however seen 2 yurts with the denim insulation placed between the standard pacific yurt insulation and the outer skin. you need to remove the outer skin of the yurt, tack up the denim insulation then put the outer skin back on. its a tight fit but worth the extra work and $'s The denim for the roof was also cut to shape to fit between the rafters. Small eyelets were screwed into the rafter every few feet then a thin piece of cord was weaved back and forth across the rafters to hold the insulation in place. That was all cover with beautiful indian tapestries. This system keeps the yurt much warmer. I would say 3 times the r value of the standard insulation. It also make the your much more solid under wind conditions...and helps with sound insulation.. In my opinion well worn the investment for your dweller in extreme environments.. Firm insulation under the floor seem to be the way to go.
Jafo likes this.
ishmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #35
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmiel View Post
denim insulation
Is this the insulation you are referring to? What thickness are you using? I don't see much space (maybe 10mm) for insulation on our

Pacific Yurts

unless we loosen the walls a lot.
stephanwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #36
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi, I have denim inside my yurt walls, so it covers the pretty lattice, but is so warm it's worth it! 23 outside this morning and 57 inside - the fire went out before bed last night. I also have rigid foam in the ceiling, but I am having condensation problems - water is forming between the foam and the roof fabric and dripping into my yurt...anyone have helpful ideas for remedying this?
And I have rigid foam underneath my platform - huge difference in comfort levels! (Our old yurt did not have insulation underneath.)
homesweetyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #37
bss
Yurt Forum Member

You need to get some air moving between the ceiling and the backside of the rigid panels. If you "lower" them somehow so there isn't any direct contact, this will improve greatly. If there is no airspace here, you are basically trapping water between two plastic bags. Air really needs to be free (or enabled) to circulate everywhere inside a yurt to maintain a safe and healthy living space.

Are you augmenting with any type of gas heat?

Moisture

contained in the exhaust from any gas combustion unit will exacerbate

moisture

issues dramatically; to include cooking stoves, hot water heaters, etc.

Do you have some sort of roof or dome opening method? Keeping this at least cracked always, but especially when the outside temperature is below freezing will also help. Keep clean dry wood burning at night. even keeping a small 250F "maintenance" fire will solve most of it. But still, get some type of air buffer going on in that roof pronto.

Cost = $0
bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #38
bss
Yurt Forum Member

Is the denim insulation on the walls ever wet on the backside anywhere? Have you ever checked, especially after a good rain?

And what kind of yurt do you live in? Or more specifically what are your outermost roof and wall coverings made of?

Last edited by bss; 11-22-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
Yurt Forum Youngin

We are in a Pacific Yurts, so it's a great, solid yurt.

There is a lot of moisture inside, we have a gas water heater and three people, cooking, laundry, etc. We try to keep the dome open during the day, but we have to close it at night - it's too cold.

Will sealing the insulation more tightly stop our water problems? It's definitely not leaks. It starts really coming down when the sun hits the roof in the morning.

Oh, and there is an air gap between the foam insulation and the roof fabric, but the gap stops when it hits the walls - those are tight against the lattice.
homesweetyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #40
bss
Yurt Forum Member

Open the dome at night at least 1/3 of the way and build a bigger fire when it's cold out. Pacific yurts are made of plastic, so your living space has no air exchange whatsoever when the doors and windows are closed. This is excellent at keeping heat in. Unfortunately, it is also excellent for keping moisture in too. No matter how much or how little moisture exists or is created in your yurt, you will be trapping 100% of it inside your living space when you are buttoned up. Simple.

I wrongly assumed you were already venting to some degree. This first, then mess with the insulation if still necessary.

You do heat with wood, yes?

Last edited by bss; 11-22-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Tags
colorado yurts, heating, insulation, moisture, pacific yurts, yurt platform