Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

EMF Sensitivities And The Reflective Insulation

Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default EMF sensitivities and the reflective insulation

I am considering a yurt on property away from highly populated cities because my family and I have major EMF sentitivities.
The company that I am thinking of purchasing from has a reflective

insulation

Does anyone know what this material does for the EMFs from the appliances within the yurt? I do plan to have minimal on-grid power for the refrigerator and a few outlets. Wondering if the reflective

insulation

will amplify the EMFs.

Last edited by angelamazour; 08-01-2015 at 08:43 AM.
angelamazour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: EMF sensitivities and the reflective insulation

Well, I am not a big believer in EMF sensitivity but for arguments sake I would imagine that the foil wouldn't amplify any EMF, rather just bounce it around a bit. I happen to be a licensed amateur radio operator and have some basic understanding of EM.

I know that radio waves are hampered significantly by the insulation. When I am at my yurt, I have to take my little portable radio outside to listen to certain stations.

I would say that you would most likely break even on the insulation, meaning it would block as much outside EMF as it would reflect inside EMF.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I didn't even know what EMF sensitivity was, until we finally figured out why my whole family was sick after moving into our home, but completely fine before. If you were to stand next to me, you could visually see the results of EMFs on my face and arms as I enter a room with computers and Wi-Fi. I look like I have a sunburn within a matter of minutes, then it goes away when I get far enough away.
I know it isn't well known or understood, but figured this forum would be a great place to find folks who are likely more open minded and possibly have more knowledgeable about electricity and insulation than i do, since it is certainly not my speciality. I just happen to be sentitive to it, but definitely learning all I can quickly.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Administrator

Okay, but like I said, I don't think the foil insulation would amplify or focus EMF. It would be zero sum as it would deflect as much as it would reflect. If the insulation wasn't double sided, then it would be different.
angelamazour likes this.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

The foil insulation would act as a faraday cage, blocking all outside EMF except for the various openings (doors, windows, crown ring, floor).
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I wondered if it would block outside and that's great! What are your thoughts for inside EMFs?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Administrator

It would reflect inside EMF.
angelamazour likes this.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

Humm. If you use metal foil tape to attach all of the insulation sections together and then run some braided wire to a ground rod, if you would have a decent Faraday Cage. I suppose it would depend on the frequency of the incoming electromagnetic radiation as to the amount of attenuation / reflection. Contact Astrofoil or Reflectex to see if they have had some testing done. jer
angelamazour likes this.
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeritchie View Post
Humm. If you use metal foil tape to attach all of the insulation sections together and then run some braided wire to a ground rod, if you would have a decent Faraday Cage. I suppose it would depend on the frequency of the incoming electromagnetic radiation as to the amount of attenuation / reflection. Contact Astrofoil or Reflectex to see if they have had some testing done. jer
i am no expert but i know a fair bit about EMF from working with Tesla coils. the question is far too broad to give a definitive answer. you need to know what frequencies you want to block,or reflect. this requires a spectrum analyzer to measure the range of frequencies you want to block, then you need to design your faraday cage for those frequecies. all in all it is a complicated question!! will it block or reflect? to many variables to give a definitive answer. a better option is to keep the radiation inside whatever is radiating. there are labs that do EMF testing, but it wont be cheap. eathing the foil wi8ll help,but getting a good connection to the foil wont be easy. i think it is vapour deposited mylar film.
hierony likes this.
bob golding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

I am just wondering if a reflective insulation will amplify the EMFs from, say, a fridge or TV.
A low level of EMFs is acceptable. I am wondering about those low levels being multiplied.

Tags
insulation