Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

-7 And Cozy Here!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Administrator

Default -7 and cozy here!

Just a quick update. I snowshed into my yurt camp and am having a great time up here. It is -7 outside and 72 here in the yurt. My small wood stove is working over time, but doing fine. This reflective

insulation

is pretty good at bouncing the radiant heat as long as it is going. The minute the stove goes cold, so does the camp.

Having fun!

baldy likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Insulating the platform

Do you think insulating your platform would extend the warmth after the fire goes out or is the heat escaping through the canvas via conduction? I'm going to be building a yurt in the next few years and have been thinking it will be much easier to insulate while building the platform than retrofitting. But if it doesn't make a difference...

Btw, love this forum.
Sapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Administrator

Yes, in fact, I am thinking about a project here this summer where I will put a vapor barrier on the floor and then over that, a floating floor to help with the

insulation

. I may also put some foam boards under the platform. This type of insulation does not hold heat well, but it is very efficient with radiant heat.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

What about a sprayed-in closed cell type? Air-tight, plus insulation.

This is why I want to figure out the platform first
Yurting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Administrator

I wouldn't mind that, but it is a tight space under there. I am not sure if I could apply it in such a tight space? I have never put in foam so I don't know?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Administrator

Just got back. We had a bout of freezing rain which made the snowshoe out a little adventurous. Legs are sore, but it is a good kind of sore. Back to reality.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Location: Souther California, Southwest Riverside County, high desert
Default Re: -7 and cozy here!

JaFo, sounds like cold times for you. I am going to super build my platform with double insulation. Concrete risers, 2x8 studs for the frame of the deck, install flooring insulation, plywood, more panel insulation and then a wooden floor. That should hold eveything out, I hope.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

We've done Roxul R23 stonewool (5.5") in the platform, with 3/8 CDX underneath to keep critters out and support it over a 4' span (we did the 1-1/8 t&g plywood platform), we've done about 75% of the platform so far and it definitely made a difference, but hard to really tell since we don't have an actual heat source yet.

We're doing Roxul R15 stonewool (3.5") in the walls between the studs (snow and wind kit), only done about 8 feet so far and there's an immediate and huge different in sound.
wjdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
JaFo, sounds like cold times for you. I am going to super build my platform with double insulation. Concrete risers, 2x8 studs for the frame of the deck, install flooring insulation, plywood, more panel insulation and then a wooden floor. That should hold eveything out, I hope.
Baldy - I'd love to see photos of your 'layers' once you build this. I'm planning on putting up a yurt in BC, Canada next year and I like my feet toasty.

Jen
Jenju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

I live in Vermont and have 2" of foam board for insulation in my floors. In the winter I lay rugs down and the floor is toasty warm. I can comfortably sit on the floor in the winter.
The problem I have had is with mold along the edges of the platform where the liner of the yurt insulation is tucked inside the bender board. I have now moved the liner to the outside of the bender board but have to find a way to tighten that area as it can be a draft source, even with the outer layer tightly screwed down.

Moisture

collects between the insulation and the outer layer and drips down. In my area in the spring and fall this is especially true.
Do other put their "winter package" insulation on the outside of the bender board?
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture, yurt platform