Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Simplicity
Advanced Search

What Are You Planting In Your Garden This Year?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Administrator

Default What are you planting in your garden this year?

Every year it seems that I adjust what it is I grow in the garden and also their amounts. This year I am making some more changes:

No peas or beans

I love these two plants, but nobody here besides me eats them. Half the time I find the beans getting too big and starchy, and the same with the peas. It's a shame because they are easy to grow, but I see no need in wasting them again this year.

More mustard

Mustard has been my favorite green for the last few years. I have been growing it for 3 years now and never have enough, so this year I am going to grow three stages of it. Each stage will be planted 2 weeks apart so I can stagger the harvest. Once each harvest is done, I should be able to make a second planting. I love mustard when it gets hit with the first frost. Delicious!

More squash

We eat squash all the time when it is in season. We also give it away to friends and family. I plan on growing much more this year than previous years. In fact, it could take up to 1/4 of my garden.

Tomatoes

I always grow tomatoes. We can these up every season and then enjoy them throughout the year. I am extending the size of my garden this year and will be planting these in the new area. It gets more sun there, and tomatoes can really grow in just about any soil condition. Heck, you can grow tomatoes in newspaper if you want.

Garlic

Last years crop worked out so great for my first time, that I couldn't wait to plant more last fall. Really looking forward to this early crop!

Peppers

Jalapeno and habaneros are constants in my garden. This year however I will not be growing any bell peppers. I just have no luck with them at all.

Herbs

Last season I started a new garden just for herbs. I grow thyme, parsley, basil, lavender, sage, and others in it. The thyme and sage should come back year after year.

Horseradish

I started some horseradish a couple years ago and this season I think I will begin harvesting it when the season is just about over. It should be rather large I hope!

Anyway, that's it for me I think.

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: What are you planting in your garden this year?

I am planning on growing a lot of brassica this year. Kales, cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, kalarbi, etc. Greens and salads are too much work, I think, and I mostly eat kales anyway.
I've been getting into fermenting veggies, so I plant to ferment a lot of what I have for fall. Also I froze some blanched kale, which worked nice.
I love squash, but recently I have been having some gut issues and they seem to be one of the foods that set me off the worst. I still may plant some to give away. My melons do alright, but cantaloupe seems to be my nemesis.
I grow a few different kind of tomatoes.
Sweet peppers also. I grow as many as I can.
I have some garlic coming up.
My peas/beans are touchy. I will plant some peas, but will probably only get a handful.

I intermix perennial flowers into my garden to attract pollinators and to keep away insects. Such as russian sage, lavendin, and I forget the name of the others. Usually some sunflowers for trap crop and for the birds. As well as clover, for living mulches.
Yurting is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: What are you planting in your garden this year?

Mustard grows easier than just about anything I have ever grown next to garlic anyway. It is a great cover crop. Once you get enough seeds, you will never run out again.

I agree with the flowers. I try to plant marigolds around because many insects/animals do not like them for some reason, and then we hang flower baskets on the fence posts around the garden. I noticed last year that we finally have a lot of honeybees. They have been in short supply in other years so maybe they are making a comeback!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote