Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Powering the Yurt
Advanced Search

Off-Grid Solar For Full-Time Residency

Old 06-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Off-Grid Solar for Full-Time Residency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
If you can shave it to 2,200 then you could get away with a smaller system. If it were me? I would look for cheaper ways to do the septic. Is the soil sandy? You could dig it by hand really and just put in the smallest tank allowable (as you won't be using it). That's what I would do, try shaving costs off the septic.

I like my off-grid system, but I wish it were possible to get grid power. I would do that in a heartbeat. There just is no power for miles from my camp. My small system (two of those batteries) came to about $3-4k as I recall when all was said and done.
The soil is clay in most places. Where it isn't clay, there's shale just under the topsoil. Not great for hand digging, but if I can find a good spot for it I'm not averse to renting an excavator.

Do you wish you were on grid simply because you aren't getting enough power for your needs from off-grid solar?
Old Man Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Oldman View Post
Do you wish you were on grid simply because you aren't getting enough power for your needs from off-grid solar?
I am getting enough, but it would have been a lot cheaper and a lot less work just to hook up to the grid.
Old Man Oldman likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm actually doing this project with two other people. I discussed your reservations and recommendations with them, but they are still sold on the idea of being off-grid, so I'm outvoted.

Wish me luck!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Administrator

It will be fun. Have at it!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

Some people find an old leaky camper for cheap, then pull out all the good stuff. My propane refrig is from such a tear down. Plus lighting, wiring, tanks, sinks. All good for a small space.

When I bought my yurt second hand, it had a small solar set up. One panel, small controller, small inverter (which I do use, but try not to - so loud!) and 2 walmart deep cycle batteries. It powers small DC lights (add ons for cars), recharging electronics and small rechargeable batteries, and a small DC fan for hot spells. Not a lot, but it works year round wo/needing a generator to top off . Heat water and cook on a 2burner propane stove, make good use of solar showers, sun oven, wood stove, Joe Jenkins style composting toilet (awesome!)

It all adds up to very comfortable Glamping. But not the life for everyone for sure. Thinking "outside the box" and being a "less is more" type person helps. Lol. I've written about it a lot in other posts - as have others. A lot of good info on this site if you dig. Much depends on you, your life, your situation. Yurts aren't houses. Thinking they are or can be only gets you into trouble (IMO).

Also. There is so much sweat equity involved in living simply with fewer conveniences everyone has to pitch in. I love getting my water from a Spring, but it would get old quick if others wasted it and/or never seemed to have the time or energy to make a water run. Good luck though!! I love my yurt. As Jafo says, figuring it all out is half the fun. -- Cindy
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
If you can shave it to 2,200 then you could get away with a smaller system. If it were me? I would look for cheaper ways to do the septic. Is the soil sandy? You could dig it by hand really and just put in the smallest tank allowable (as you won't be using it). That's what I would do, try shaving costs off the septic.

I like my off-grid system, but I wish it were possible to get grid power. I would do that in a heartbeat. There just is no power for miles from my camp. My small system (two of those batteries) came to about $3-4k as I recall when all was said and done.

Hello again! We're still looking at off-grid solar. I have run the numbers once again, very lean:

* vent fan for composting toilet
* one laptop PC
* two cellphone chargers
* pipe heater to prevent water supply line from freezing in winter

* LED lighting, about 15 watts total

and came up with a daily budget of just over 2000 watt/hours. I'm now trying to size a system that will provide that, while permitting future expansion.

One retailer suggested this DIY kit:
https://www.wholesalesolar.com/18907...d-solar-system

$7500 for everything (except the batteries). Is this reasonable?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Oldman View Post
Is this reasonable?
Since you've got the numbers all done, just email it off to 3 or so solar companies and see what quotes they give you.

I bought all my parts separately. First batteries, then panels to match the battery capacity, then charge controller/regulator. As much capacity as I could afford at the time.
Mostly from ebay.
YurterRT likes this.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar