Diameter: 12
Windows: 0
Tall Walls: No
Doors: 1
Insulation: Fully Insulated
Heating: Propane
Upgrades:
  • Upgraded or French Door
I live in a 12' (formerly 16') self-built yurt in Austin, Texas. My roof ring is made of furring strips and plywood, my rafters are furring strips, and my walls are made out of cedar connected with aluminum Chicago connectors. The doorframe is made of various kinds of pine. Everything is treated with tung oil. The yurt stands on a 12' platform that comes apart like a tic-tac-toe board for easy transport in small vehicles. It is insulated with comforters and sleeping bags, heated with electric and an Olympian Wave6 heater, and will be cooled by a small AC unit along with various fans. It currently has a short but otherwise real front door, complete with industry standard door handle and lock. I originally made the yurt to fit into my tiny Geo Metro to make staying in Portland, Oregon in the summer cheaper. I shrunk it to make it fit in the car better, and because it was just too big for camping mostly alone. I decided to move into it full time when I sold my suburban residence in 2015. I'm intending to construct a smaller camping yurt for use there and at festivals such as Flipside and Burning Man. I'm installing plumbing now in the spring of 2016. Here's my first time setting it up in the field!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/257880...57630733596444

Copyright Notice:

These images are the property of the member and may not be redistributed, copied, or otherwise used without permission. Click here to contact this user.

Post New Thread

Discuss This Yurt
  Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
No discussions yet!