Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Everything Else
Advanced Search

Traditional Vs Modern?

Old 12-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Traditional vs modern?

I am going back and forth, I just can't decide between a traditional Mongolian or a modern yurt. I live in rainy Oregon, not too cold, super dry all summer. It will be a full time living situation for a couple of years. I would love to hear some opinions! Thanks!

klshapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Traditional vs modern?

From the sounds of it, you're probably in the southern half of western Oregon?

Probably not much snow to worry about, but on the sunny side. Within a few years sun will kill the simple canvas often used in traditional yurts--but that isn't to say you couldn't easily get replacement canvas or upgrade to sunbrella canvas or such. Being careful about ventilation is important, too...

I like my 20' traditional yurt for it's portability. It can be disassembled in an hour with two people, whereas the modern yurts often take a lot longer and require more tools. It was also a lot cheaper (~$3k vs 10+k). But each has it's place.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

We are in northwest Oregon. We have no rain all summer, but clouds and rain for the other 6 months. I am more concerned about mold than anything else. I know wool is fairly mold resistant, but are the traditional yurts really built for a wet climate? Thanks for your input!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Be assured an untreated cotton canvas cover will mold in constant damp condition six months out of the year. You'll get two good years out of it but that will be it. I live in a semi arid climate here in CO. If I was living in my yurt I would have had to replace the cover after three years.
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

IMO yurts do best in a dry climate, like Mongolia for example. Based on reports I have read here and elsewhere, mold can make living in a yurt unbearable and actually destroy the place in a few years.

Heating

the yurt with a woodstove will certainly help alleviate that, as will full on ventilation from open window, open door and/or roof vent. No way I'd put a shower/bathtub in a yurt without some serious airflow taking out the

moisture

Mongolia- home of the trad style nomadic unimproved yurt- is a dry country. Their yurts are heated with stoves. I doubt any have indoor plumbing unless on a platform in the big city. Yurts are fantastic tents, but IME I'd consider a small house or cabin with gas furnace that keeps the place dry while you are at work or away in a wet climate. Even a frame house that is left unheated in a wet climate will mold BIG time. I know this from experience. Wife and I stayed in a friends 'getaway cabin' a couple nights on our honeymoon trip. Shot through with mold. Completely unliveable. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Lastly, most people are completely unfamiliar with cotton tent canvas. To get an idea of what will happen to your yurt canvas where you live, imagine leaving a new pair of cotton jeans hanging on your clothesline for a few years. The same thing will happen to your cotton canvas yurt cover.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Administrator

Agreed. Get canvas if you are fine with changing it out every couple years, else it's a no-brainer: vinyl all the way.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

10-4 on that. Two years is in fact the real limit for best performance with 100% cotton canvas, no doubt about it.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

What I have never tried, nor read about here or elsewhere, is the effectiveness of 'reproofing' the canvas with water repellent once a year or whatever. My gut feeling is doing that just might help to extend the life of the cover for one or two go rounds.

However sun and weather eventually gonna kill canvas no matter how often you treat it. Once the original proofing has substantially degraded, you get sopping wet canvas after every little rain or snow. IME mold sets in fast in those conditions.

The absolute worst thing you can do to canvas is fold it up in a bundle and store it wet. Even brand new canvas will be ruined in short order. OK I'm done now. lol
Old 12-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

I agree that yurts are meant for dry climates. My question is, which type of yurt will work best: traditional or modern. The water proof cover is not without its problems. It doesn't breathe, so

moisture

builds up on the inside, rather than the cotton canvas on the outside. I do actually have experience living in a duck canvas tipi for a year. It does help to have a fire going, which we will be doing every day during the rainy season.

If anyone in a rainy climate can speak to their experiences with either, I'd be ever so grateful!
YurterRT likes this.

Tags
None