Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Where Can We Buy A Yurt In UB Mongolia?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default where can we buy a Yurt in UB mongolia?

hi

we are traveling in Mongolia and want to buy (and ship) a small ger (about 20 square meters) back home

where can we buy it (in UB i assume) how much should it cost and how can we ship it?

thanks

Ilan

ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: where can we buy a Yurt in UB mongolia?

You might want to check out

Groovy Yurts

as they import theirs from Mongolia:

www.groovyyurts.com
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

I just left UB day before yesterday (7 Aug), and it is as you have heard, there are yurts (gers) everywhere, even throughout the capital city. UB is a city of about 1 million people (roughly 1/3 of Mongolia's population), and I think, (just my guess), that a pretty good percentage of the population lives in, or is at most one generation from yurt living. It is listed as the least densely populated country left on earth.

I asked one of the Mongolian guys at my guest house how many ger factories there were in UB. He said he knew of 3, but there were probably others. They are still shaped and tied and painted by hand, but it is mostly done inside factories now.

Are you planning to go to UB to buy, or are you trying to find a factory that will ship to you? That will make all the difference. I am sure you know Mongolia is land-locked, but they have some kind of deal they were telling me, where they ship to the outside pretty inexpensively.

Are you in the US? You might search things out on the internet or Ebay and buy one that has already been imported to the USA. The hassles and the inspections and the paperwork are not worth the savings if you are only buying one yurt.

As Jeff said, you could try

Groovy Yurts

on the west coast, and there is another guy on the east coast that also imports them but I can't remember his name right now. It should be easy enough to find him with a little research on the web. Let me know if you need him and can't find him.

If you were there (UB) and could figure out how to declare it and ship it as personal property, it might be better, but I am not sure about that. Fumigation and quarantine can be a hassle, but once again, I am not sure about it in this case.

That being said, I could try to help you through some contacts I have there if you are really determined to do it this way.

I will try to post some Mongolia pictures up in the next few weeks, if anyone is interested. It is a beautiful country that reminds me a lot of Montana or parts of British Columbia and Alberta. Great horses too, but someone forgot to give them long legs. They can still do the trick though.

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Sorry... I just noticed how poorly I had read your post... I apologize for an honest mistake.

Oops.

I promise it won't be my last mistake.

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

As the guys said call yves he is a great guy and will help you out i am sure of it.1=888=476-6899
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Manufacturer Representative

Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts

thanks all! :-) I got your e-mail Ilan. Let me know if the contact I sent you works, otherwise I can refer you to someone else. Shipping a single yurt to Israel will be the trickiest. Otherwise I will be in UB end of August and ebginning of Sept and I'd be happy to guide you.
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ilan,

Did you get the Yurt?DID you ship it to Israel? CAn you share info of shipping and general costs? Where in Israel are you?

Thank you

Colette
cnelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilan View Post
hi

we are traveling in Mongolia and want to buy (and ship) a small ger (about 20 square meters) back home

where can we buy it (in UB i assume) how much should it cost and how can we ship it?

thanks

Ilan
talk to yves at groovy yurts .com
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None