Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

How Secure Is A Yurt In Wild Country?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default How secure is a Yurt in wild country?

Just joined this forum to learn more about yurts. We have property at the edge of West Yellowstone Park. Plenty of snow and plenty of wildlife. We are in the process of taking down a 110 yr old homestead and when that is finished we will have a level footprint on which to use for a cabin, or a yurt. I love the idea of a yurt and the cost difference between building a cabin. My question is the security of a yurt against the wildlife. There are grizzlies, wolves and Moose seen close, alth' we have not encountered them. Would it be easy enough for them to tear into our yurt if they so desired?
Thanks for any help with our decision.
Wannayurt
Utah

wannayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Manufacturer Representative

We have bears in our area and I have never heard of any problems. I have heard of bears breaking into cabins for food. Guess it depends on how you plan to use your yurt.
Tree Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Administrator

My yurt is located in the Adirondack park where we have many similar animals out there (black bears instead of grizzlies). I have yet to have an issue, but I am also very strict about not leaving food or garbage of any kind in/near the yurt while we are not there.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts

a lot of our yurts are installed in areas where you generally find a lot more bears than humans and so far had only one report. A bear tried to enter a 16' ger in New Mexico, damaging the canvas, but not the lattice. There was food in that yurt, which is the nr 1 safety factor to consider. Have a food "safe" outside of the yurt (or sometimes under the platform), but preferrably in a raised shelter nearby.
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Shelter Designs

Hi there wannayurt, great question for those with yurts in wild country! We live in and manufacture yurts in grizzly, wolf, moose habitat as well (near Troy, MT in the NW corner of the state) and have years of experience with this and other Northern Rockies challenges.

In terms of wildlife, bears will be your # 1 large animal potential problem. As other have pointed out, the best solution is a clean camp. Beyond that, installing a strand or two of electric fence around your perimeter (either your deck railing if you will have a full wrap around deck or the base of your platform) is a simple and cost efficient way of deterring bears. They do not like getting shocked! You could install this as a 12 volt system run off a solar panel or 110 off the grid, and with the flip of a switch could activate this perimeter when you leave and at night. Choosing easily repairable wall fabrics (vinyl instead of acrylic coated polyester) is a smart move here too.

We have numerous yurts in the Yellowstone area and can gladly put you in touch with some of the owners if you like. Please contact us at (406)295-4661 or infoshelterdesigns.net to speak with us about yurts more.

Thanks!

Hays Daniel
Shelter Designs
Shelter Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Here at

Clean Air Yurts

we are currently designing and taking orders for custom metal-shelled yurts that are the ultimate in security and durability. They come with windows with solid metal locking covers and a steel door so that you can leave your yurt and not even grizzlies can get in. Easy to assemble and they come with all tools needed. You can even disassemble them over and over again to transport.

Platforms are not necessary as the yurt has an integrated design that secures it to the ground, even on solid rock. We do offer SIPS panel platforms designed for for easy assembly and high

insulation

Good for high snow loads, wind loads, and with an estimated 50 year lifespan without any maintainence.

Insulation

and wooden interiors are available. Contact us for more information at mattcleanairyurts.com
Clean Air Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None