Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Flooring

Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Flooring

I have been working on building my

yurt platform

for the last couple of months. It is very close to complete and it is time to decide what to do about the flooring.

At this point my primary issue is that I am putting my yurt up on the edge of the NW rainforest so I have limited time to get it all done. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of or knows how to put down the sub floor, get the yurt up and then complete the interior floor?

I have attached a rough draft of the interior layout for reference. Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yurt.pdf (310.6 KB, 683 views)
Frithogar and manyhorses like this.
memmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt Flooring

That is what we did as we are in VT and started putting it up in November.

We put down plywood vs. OSB so that the floor was 'finished' while we worked on building the yurt. - This was just a cosmetic choice.

Once built and covered, we used an 'L bar' to put between each of the wall cross pieces where they met the floor and lifted each set of timbers to slide the matting and then wood flooring underneath and get into place.

Make sure that your sill lip is made high enough to still have a sill after you put the flooring underneath.

It wasn't ideal, but it worked. It could also work with a crowbar for more leverage since you have a larger yurt and heavier walls (ours is 16').

Make sure you wrap a sponge or towel around the end and use gorilla tape to hold it to the bar to prevent chipping your wall timbers.
Reinventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt Flooring and Bender Board

We used OSB too and painted it. It's not fancy and it's not that easy to get dirt out from between the wood threads but it's affordable and works great. I suggest the OSB without the side that are supposed to fit together. That just made it harder to work with.

MY question - what do people use for bender board? the board that wraps the platform before the canvas goes up? We used something we thought would last but it's crumbling away after only a year.
Thanks!
lizsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Memmons, I would recommend building a raised ring around the outer circumference of the

yurt platform

using 1x6 laid flat and glued to the sub floor. This ring can be stained/finished prior to installing the yurt. When the yurt is installed it will fasten on top of the raised ring instead of the sub floor. This way you can install a finish flooring after the yurt ins in place without affecting the yurt itself.

Lizsteve, you might try Hardie siding or Hardie Backer (James Hardie: World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard) for your drip edge material. It bends readily and will last.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

when i do my next yurt i will lay sheets of tounge and groove plywood as the sub floor and then just sand it it smooth with a floor sander and stain it. it looks great,is cheap, and then can have flooring laid over it in the future if we want.
in our current yurt we installed wood flooring after we erected the yurt in the same way as reinventor. way to much effort and not quite perfect results.
Jafo likes this.
junglehippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Do you have any photos of your project?
Did you use SIP insulated panels?
How did you work around potential change in wall height?
Any insight would be very helpful.
Thank You,
Doug Musso
530-575-1842
[email protected]
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None