Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Would This Be Possible?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Lightbulb Would this be possible?

Okay, so I'm looking to get into a Yurt type lifestyle. However, I don't like the thought of a solid wooden platform. It looks like it would be quite the hassle to disassemble and move somewhere else if I so choose. Inserted into this post is a design I was thinking of for a portable flooring that I could roll up and store with the Lattice and Canvas.

In Figure 1, it shows several (Crude) planks laid next to each other, with the outer ones cut to be round. I'm thinking of starting with a 12 foot yurt, so I noted that on the design.

In Figure 2, it shows the real idea. If the planks were cut like its shown, and a length of cord, represented by the grey line, was inserted in several places down the side of the floor, could it be drawn together and tightened by a fastening pin? An example of this would be the draw strings on a backpack.

The problem I'm having is the lack of proper tools to test this, so I was looking for other opinions as to why this would or would not work before I commit myself to it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable Yurt Floor.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	284  
Cody_Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Hmm, I have no idea. It looks interesting. How thick would the planks be?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

The planks would most likely be standard 2x4's, so 1-2 inches thick. I don't think I can be thicker then that, or it wont roll up properly.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Administrator

Hmm, I am going to defer to some of the builders here, but I don't think it would be a very stable platform. Have you seen this thread? There are some other ideas that are portable:

http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/buil...ideas-238.html
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Well, it wouldn't really be a platform, it would more likely be a kind of wooden mat that I set the yurt on top of
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Administrator

The yurt should overlap the platform but the sides should not sit on the ground. Water comes down the sides of the yurt, so unless you want water inside the yurt, the edge of the fabric should sit on the side of the platform. You can see here in the pic in this thread:

http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/buil...-walls-40.html

How the side wall comes down and overlaps over the platform 50%, which allows water to flow to the ground instead of inside.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
bss
Yurt Forum Member

Standard 2x4's would not work unless they were quarter sawn or they would be twisting up all kinds of ways in a matter of weeks.

But just for fun assuming the species were some type of softwood (Doug Fir or the like,) and 2x4 dimension lumber (which is actually 1 1/2 x 3 1/2,) and given a square area of 113', I think your mat would weigh 136.73 pounds but feel free to check my math on that. This of course does not take into consideration of the weight of the length of cable/rope and any other hardware you would need to affix to hook it all together like. Let's just say 150#. Don't forget it's also twelve feet long and all "rolled" up. A challenge to transport or even move without a second, or maybe even a third person and a pretty long trailer.

Those challenges aside in a VERY dry climate, and on very level ground (concrete or gravel would actually be best,) it could work. In my humble opinion I think it would be way to much of a pain to design, construct, and transport than its worth. But I do like the way you think.

Last edited by bss; 02-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.
bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

The floor in my 4.5 meter Ger is two pieces of outdoor carpet, each slightly more than a half circle so they overlap. I only use the Ger for camping. Both rolled together make a roll about seven feet long, and easily handled.
Woody
Woodyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

I would propose another idea that could save weight, get you up off the ground and be easy to pack and assemble.

My idea is similar to yours to keep your train of thought without directing you on some other direction. Take a series of boards - this time use 3/4" thick hardwood or softwood about 3"-4" wide and the length of your platform (thickness can possibly be reduced, but a trial will be necessary). Square edged boards are fine for this, but you could still use angled boards or a cove and bead joint if you wish. On one side of the boards take webbing and stretch it across the width of your boards (perpendicular to the boards' direction) and nail or screw the webbing to the back of the boards. Use at least two screws per board for strength. You could also glue the webbing to the boards. I would place a piece of webbing every two feet, but that is just a guess.

The platform would roll up, but you would first have flip the platform over as it will only roll up in one direction. I would just elevate this platform on a set of boards that you place on the ground perpendicular to the direction that your platform boards or oriented. A solid deck of lumber should span 2' without issues, but if you are putting a heavy yurt with snow loads, then you may want more boards underneath. The boards on the ground are just to raise the platform up off the ground, and if you are only placing the yurt there for a short time, I would not even use pressure-treated lumber, just 2x4's nailed into a 4x4.
Jafo likes this.
Clean Air Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yurt platform