Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Where To Place Yurt On Property

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Where to place Yurt on Property

My wife and I are brand new to the world or Yurts. We are considering buying a piece of land and building a Yurt that would serve as a retreat/ getaway for now with the idea of living there full time in the future. Being as new to Yurts as we are, are there any guidelines or standard practices on the placement of yurts? Things like, don't build it under a bunch of trees that could fall on it or in a completely open field that has no shade, or not downwind from a poultry plant? You know, basic safety stuff.

Thanks!

pastortommyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Where to place Yurt on Property

Yurts are pretty resilient structures so you will find a lot of flexibility there. What part of the country are you planning on building in?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

We are planning on building in the Shenandoah Valley (VA). Our main concern would be safety with our kids. Worse case scenario is a tree falling on the structure. No matter what structure you have it is a major problem. I guess the concern with a Yurt would be with large branches falling in a wind storm.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastortommyboy View Post
I guess the concern with a Yurt would be with large branches falling in a wind storm.
You mean like this?

Just How Tough Are Pacific Yurts Anyway? « Pacific Yurts' Blog

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_17561-1024x768[1].jpg
Views:	768
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	366

If you click that link, it will show you how tough yurts can be.

Anyway, yes, I would keep as many threatening trees away as you can, but I believe you still want some for shade and to act as a wind break. I have mine up in the Adirondacks where get get a great deal of snow and have many trees around. I am not that worried about it because the structure is so sound.
Dan R-M, HawaiiYurts and Lisal like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post

WOW!

I will pass that on for my wife to see! Feeling much more confident in pursuing a Yurt whole heartily!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Manufacturer Representative
Shelter Designs

Greetings,
Great post! Carefully choosing your yurt site is critical for both your safety and comfort. Here is a general overview of an ideal yurt site.

-The site should receive morning sun and afternoon shade. This shade will be crucial for you in your hot, humid climate. If not much shade is available features added to the yurt such as

insulation

, adequate doors and windows for cross ventilation, ceiling fans, and glass windows for a possible AC unit should be considered as well. Choosing light colored exterior fabrics is a plus too if your yurt will receive lots of sun.

- The site should have some windbreaks if possible on the prevailing wind side of the yurt.

- Definitely keep the yurt directly out from under trees if possible for falling gathered snow. An ice bomb dropping 80 ft. off of a tree can cause quite a thump! Try to strike a balance between safety of falling snow and branches but still catching some shade from the trees.

- Not being downwind of a poultry plant is always a good idea! You should also look at the location of any neighbors for both visual privacy and acoustic privacy. Yurt

insulation

is great at keeping you warm but does not hold sound in very well (true even with our arctic insulation package). Consider that anyone within 50' will hear most things happening inside fairly clearly.

- You should always consider the proximity to any infrastructure (water/septic/electricity, etc.) you are going to tie into to keep your costs down. Excavating and laying water and power lines can get spendy.

I hope this helps!

Hays Daniel
Shelter Designs
Shelter Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Howdy neighbor sorta. we are located in Sugar grove wv. opposite side of the mountain from Harrisonburg VA.
pastortommyboy and Lisal like this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts