Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Simple 9’ Yurt

Old 05-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Simple 9’ Yurt

Hi, my gut feeling tells me, “I could build a yurt”.
So I went in my yard and measured the distance of my space between house and wall 10’. I’m thinking, “a 9’ yurt woukd fit there”
So I start my research: I saw an article ‘Build a yurt for $8 to $10,000’. You kidding me??? I’m thinking £2 to £300. I already thought painters dust sheets would make great

insulation

. Breathable waterproof membrane for the outside? Not sure yet.
But I need specific info’ if my diameter is 9’ and my trellis wall is 6’ high (has only 3 articulating joints: top, mid and bottom) how do I calculate the angle of the roof to work out the frame plan?
Yurts look so simple.

Popcornnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Simple 9’ Yurt

The height of the wall has no bearing on the angle of the roof. The distance between the top of the wall and the ring determines the angle of the roof, so you need to know what size your ring will be. A 30” ring would be ok, but you could go smaller too. The ring diameter will determine the angle of the roof and the length of the poles. The smaller the ring will mean less pitch in the roof, but longer poles.
YurterRT likes this.
Yurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Yurtman. (Sorry for late reply: kids half term) I think I am becoming more aware of my drive for a Yurt. I have no place to go. A place that’s mine. Right now I left the sitting room to escape loud gunshots coming for my 11y son’s PlayStation. My wife has the TV on in the dining room. I find myself dreaming of being in a Yurt. Warm, peaceful. Just being connected to being. But I don’t know how to build one. I get flashes of vision: fixing a trellis of 2”X1” batons. Cutting 2”X1” poles to fix to the top articulation joints of the trellis and slotting into the roof central ring. I see myself using thick white decorators dust sheets as padded

insulation

for walls and ceiling. I see a small stove.I have a sense of warmth and comfort inside. Of satisfaction and a sense that there’s no where I need to go anymore. Not sure how to proceed though. Anyone know if there’s a person who can design a Yurt? (Sorry if I got all dreamy)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

I practice TM (transcendental meditation) for 18 years now. I think a Yurt would be a perfect place to do meditation :-)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

I design and manufacture yurts as well as make custom yurts.
My yurts are more traditional than most yurts on this forum as they are for permanent living. Mine are for camping, semi permanent accommodation, outdoor living spaces etc. they are designed to be lightweight and portable, and so can be set up in as little as 40mins.
I have plans for 12ft, 14ft, 16ft and 20ft, but also make custom yurts to any size up to 20ft.

While making a yurt might seem complicated, it’s really very simple. Decide on the yurt diameter, then the height of the walls. This will determine the ring size you might use. I make yurts with a 54” wall height and also 65”. For these two heights I use 6ft lath and 7ft lath respectfully. If you want to go higher, you can add more lath to the wall which will make the lath more vertical, but it will also increase the number of poles required.
For instance, a 54” wall in my 12ft yurt uses 22x 6ft lath. With the 65” wall height it uses 20 x 7ft lath. If you w@nted to go higher stil, you can add more lath or even go to a 8ft lath.
I just did a custom 8ft yurt for a restaurant. It has a 65” wall height and uses 7ft lath. It has 18 poles
The only trouble you get with small diameter yurts such as 8ft and 10ft is the tight bend that the lath have to conform to. I usually use a 5/16” thick lath, but with 8ft yurts I use 1/4”.
I know this probably doesnt mean much to you, but it shows how a yurt is amazingly versatile. You can tweak them to your own needs. I have done all kinds of odd sizes. I even did a 5ft diameter yurt that had a 6ft high wall. It was used as a kiosk.
So, check my website out and see if my type of yurts are what you might want. I could probably adapt some 12ft plans to suite what you need. I use marine canvas on my yurts rather than vinyl.
YurterRT likes this.
Yurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Yurtman, I will check website and get back to you. Really interesting. P
YurterRT likes this.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcornnn View Post
Thank you Yurtman, I will check website and get back to you. Really interesting. P
Popcornnn have you seen this calculator? You put in your yurt diameter, and click calculat, and it does everything for you, lengths and angles and everything.
https://simplydifferently.org/Yurt_Notes?page=1
Here's one I did for your proposed 9' yurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-05-10-01-19.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1094  
YurterRT likes this.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Drunken hobbit
no I didn't see it. I am taken uo with work and family presently. I need to write back when I can. thank you all so much.

Pop'
Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for your patience. I wonder Yurtman, do you still have the construction drawings for the custom 8ft yurt ? Are the drawings made to be followed, I.e. step by step? And how much would you charge me for a copy of them?
Today is the weekend, I have done meditation and feeling it would be ideal if I had a private space to be st peace. I hear the sounds of a PlayStation4 shooting various games NDS and bombs. If I didn’t have family, think I would leave city life.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

If 8-9' will do you for meditation, I'd seriously consider buying a cheap

dome

tent to meditate in. You can look at

dome

tents on REI. Buying one of those would be cheaper than building even a small yurt. Just an idea.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None