Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Question About Cover Material.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Question about cover material.

Just wanted to let you guys know I finally got my yurt covered. I ended up buying a 20x24, 17 oz double fill canvas tarp. I custom modified it to fit the roof framing. The sewing and detailing was a LOT of work, it took two days. It came out great.

You all take care.
Jafo and Marshall Eppley like this.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

Photo! Photo! Show us the goods!
Jafo likes this.
Dan R-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Administrator

Yes, pics please!!!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

I know what you mean by takes time. i took a tarp to an upholstery shop said they could do the roof hole for me.And after weeks of them stalling me.I went and got the dang thing bought a palm stitch er and did it my self took me a whole day but turned out really well.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

Nobody asked, but I laid the tarp atop the roof, aligned it, and cut slits where the roof hole was going to be. Then, I cut from the outside edge of the cover up alongside a rafter up to one of the smoke hole slits. That freed up the tarp so I could overlap the cut edges and snug the tarp over the conic shape of the roof. I then marked where the second matching cut needed to be, using the cut edge as a guide, and made registration marks for alignment when sewing.

That was an empirical easy way to make the cover fit correctly. No math and head scratching necessary. After stitching the seam I reinstalled the cover and was pleased to find it fit great.

To detail the smoke hole I simply sharpied the location from inside the yurt, cut to within an inch of the line, triple hemmed and triple stitched the hem. Then stitched 14 webbing loops to attach the cover to the anchor cable strung through the roof ring eyebolts. Worked great.

I did all the stitching using nmy moms 1951 sineger portable, with a size 18 needle and heavy polyester thread from Walmart. I ended up using 700 yards of thread.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Administrator

You guys rule.. If I even tried to fire up a Singer, you could pretty much take it to the bank that I would sew a couple of my fingers together.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Youngin

My mom taught me to sew. I been sewing and repairing this an that since I was in my late teens. I'm 59 now. That Singer is one superior piece of U.S. machinery. It handled four fat layers of canvas just fine. Didn't even break a needle either. Cramming all that canvas through that tiny portable while stitching a flat fell seam was a trip though. ;D
Jafo likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Addict

I'm told it's easy to figure out, mathematically, how to make a roof. But I think this is much more likely how I'd do it. Except I'd probably replace the Singer with my bottle of H-66 (which I still haven't used yet).
Dan R-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Robo: If you are going to use it for camping, you want a canvas material. I forgot where I got my my canvas, but it was on-line, and by the short bolt (fifty yards) cost less than the thirty I needed. If you make the top as the Mongolians do in two overlapping sections fit is not a problem. There is photograph of mine in the Glamping section.
Woody
Woodyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

Cant help you about the canvas but just to let you know we used Tyvec I think its called as our yurt wrap first and then the canvas...its supposed to be breathable and waterproof and has done well for the last 3 years. We pieced it together with tuck tape and in the summer we roll up the tyvec under the roof
Lucy Willemsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None