Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Planning To Build A Yurt In Czech Republic

Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #271
Administrator

Default Re: Planning to build a yurt in Czech Republic

What will the final wall be made out of?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #272
Yurt Forum Addict

Insulation

will be the same as on the roof, plus the wool felt I've written about before. So, looking from the inside, there will be felt + carpets, then a layer of the hemp fiber, then some old tent fabric and the outer layer will be the camo tarps. They are 2m high each, so they overlay almost on whole height. They seem to be of somewhat better quality than the usual blue tarp. I wouldn't trust them for roof, but being vertical and mostly doubled, I believe they won't let the rain in.
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #273
Yurt Forum Addict

I like it.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #274
Yurt Forum Addict

The jamb halves of door hinges roughly forged. Will improve them a little yet and finish them with baked-on beeswax.
Door halves will be similar, but smaller.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #275
Yurt Forum Addict

I dig hand forged metal work. Looking forward to seeing the finished hinges.

As a total aside here, I like hand made work, especially scratch built black powder guns, selfbows and arrows. All manner of forged weaponry. There's a museum in Stockton CA, the Haggin Museum, that has an incredible antique arms display that features both BP arms and some selfbows indigenous to the native people of the western US. Anyone with such an interest should stop in to see the Haggin Museum in Stockton.
Knecht likes this.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #276
Yurt Forum Addict

Bob, I believe we would have much to talk about if we met! While I enjoy modern guns, crossbows and all kinds of cool gear, the old ways and artifacts always have a special place in my heart, be it a BP gun, bow or some interesting tool. It's why I became an archaeologist and also why I've quit it and started making the items.
Actualy, while I've worked on the hinges and waited for the forge to fully heat up (I use good old coal), I made two points for Roman plumbatae - lead-weighted throwing darts. I've finished them with the lead weight, shaft and fletching and started learning to throw them. Very interesting weapon. I've read that this simple, hand-thrown dart can reach up to 80m!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #277
Yurt Forum Addict

Our yurt has just withstood a windstorm. At first though, the wind has tucked up the roof cover somewhat, but then I pulled it back down and secured it, plus I've tied the wall cover to keep it from flapping around. I planned to do this once everything is done, anyway, so at least now I see what it will look like.
Jafo and Marshall Eppley like this.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #278
Yurt Forum Addict

knecht both our yurt covers are similar. I added loops to the perimeter of my roof cover. Those are anchored to the bottom with rope. That stops the cover from pulling up in a high wind.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #279
Administrator

On the pacific yurt, the roof perimeter has grommets as does the top and bottom of the wall fabric. You lace the roof perimeter to the top of the wall using nylon cord. You then screw the bottom of the wall into the skirt on the platform. It would take quite a bit for the entire thing to lift off that way. It would have to rip about 50 (reinforced) grommets.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #280
Yurt Forum Addict

That sounds good, Jafo. I could make something like that. What I have now on the roof cover are the tying straps and buckles (which is what caused the patching problems); these are supposed to be tied to the roof poles. Unfortunately, they don't always match them properly, so I tied some of them to the

tension cable

. That was all done in haste and during the windstorm. Now I need to think of a better permanent solution. Some good ideas here, thanks. I was thinking of something like Bob says, even thought about sort of diamond-pattern lacing from roof to bottom, across the wall. Thought the yurt would look like old infantry drum then though

Tags
None