Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Planning To Build A Yurt In Czech Republic

Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #161
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Planning to build a yurt in Czech Republic

Ok, thought I'll show you the saw. It's just a quick made one, more like survival style, but it works perfect. Side bars are made of rose hip branch, that wood will crack lengthwise but won't break. This one has been drying for several years now, so it's good and ready. Should last a lifetime. Make sure to pick some when clearing a rose hip bush, this thing makes great canes, clubs and shafts (if you don't mind the lengthwise cracks, but you can always wrap the handle with something). Middle bar is just a copper pipe leftover I grabbed for this, as it had the exact length I needed. Just flattened the ends a little and chiseled a pocket for them in each of the side bars. Top tightening bundle is made of tarred bankline, shouldn't break and shouldn't care about

moisture

. Blade is Bahco drywood blade, brand new. Bahco makes good saws. The blade is the only part I had to buy to make myself a perfect handsaw. Guess I'll have to replace the copper pipe with something sturdier, as it's likely gonna bend at the ends, but should last long enough to help me in the yurt finishing. Then I'll either use some good hardwood or iron pipe.
Jafo, Bob Rowlands and grandpajohn like this.

Last edited by Knecht; 11-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #162
Yurt Forum Youngin

Great stuff, thank you for the updates! Just a quick q please - I think you're building a 6m yurt with a 1m ring? I saw the chat between you and Bob on pg 6 of this thread so I'm getting a feel of measurements and pics here.

Also, please how heavy is your

center ring

? It's a beauty, by the way
grandpajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #163
Yurt Forum Addict

Yes, 6m yurt, 1m ring.
Not sure about the weight of the ring (my yurt build happened mainly because I had to move and now lots of the things from my old apartment are stuffed in garage, including my scale). My guess would be around 5-6kg. I didn't really care about making the ring too heavy using solid lumber, as I knew I'll be making the baganas to support my roof against snow.
I've just tested the saw today, been cutting some beams while rebuilding my smithy. Need to have it functional ASAP, both to make door hinges and other metal stuff for the yurt and for earning some money doing custom work (orders accepted via PM )
Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #164
Yurt Forum Addict

Looking forward to more photos. A sharp drawknife is a great tool.

Good job as usual knecht. I'm hoping this thread gets a few other folks building their own yurt.
grandpajohn likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #165
Yurt Forum Addict

Somehow I missed page 17. The saw is cool. Jafo, how do we PM here?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #166
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks. PM seems to be available when you click someone's name, a menu pops up, including private messages
Old 11-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #167
Yurt Forum Addict

knecht, I sent you a PM. I'm computer challenged, but it says I have no reply. I'll have to check tonight because I'm very busy fixing my work van. Later. Bob
Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #168
Yurt Forum Addict

I got the message and I surely wrote an answer...now, did I actually send it? Not sure...I'll send it again.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #169
Yurt Forum Addict

Knecht, I got your PM. Hopefully you'll get the one I just sent you.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #170
Yurt Forum Addict

While waiting for the roof to be made, I got a great deal today. Went to a store here in town that carries hardware, builder's supplies and also has a large bargain room, where they sell all kinds of stuff by weight. Anything from tools to shoes there, often it's stuff that was discarded for hawing some minor flaws and such. Anyway, I scored a roll of felt there and grabbed it. Paid ~$35 for it. Light brown. Two holes and some dirt on the end, guess the roll fell of a truck or something. At home I measured it and the undamaged part is over 20m! More than enough to put it around my khana. Not very thick (like 3mm), but it will make a great under-layer before I put on the main layer of hemp fiber

insulation

and will also be much nicer to see from the inside. Plus, will add to the authenticity feel a bit. It's 1,3m wide, so it won't cover the whole height of the khana, but the remaining space can be easily filled with something else.
Burned a piece of it and it seems to be pure wool!
Jafo likes this.

Tags
None