Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Needing Building Advice

Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Question Needing building advice

I've been gathering research and information on constructing a year round yurt and have questions I am hoping I can get advice on. I may be asking questions that might seem simple but I don't have a great understanding of construction and building, I'm 53 yr old female and don't want to get mislead by someone trying to sell me something just to make a sale.

Heat wise and longevity wise how do wood built yurts and the normal yurt compare? The wood built is beautiful and more permanent but not sure I can afford one, I might consider having one built if it's worth it in the long run.

I would also like to place the yurt several feet off the ground in hopes of enclosing and insulating enough to keep water pipes from freezing, do you think it would work?

I read that one should not make the platform larger than the yurt because rain will cause problems....anyone have any words on this for me? I would think it would be nice to have a large platform that could double as a wrap around deck but don't want to end up with water problems.

Best way to insulate the floor and stop drafts? what type of

insulation

? I'm assuming they have a sub floor? Sorry I sound so yurt ignorant but that's sorta what I am I guess. lol

Finally, does anyone know someone in my area that may have yurt/platform constructing experience that could be hired? I have been speaking with a really nice man via email that build a sweet wooden yurt but he says he is so busy that he doesn't have the time to build one.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and help. I have a feeling it's not as complicated as my "stuck in the box" head is making it.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Needing building advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Heat wise and longevity wise how do wood built yurts and the normal yurt compare? The wood built is beautiful and more permanent but not sure I can afford one, I might consider having one built if it's worth it in the long run.
You will be able to heat a wooden yurt much easier than a fabric one. They are easier to use traditional

insulation

on. You will also have a significantly easier time coming up to code.

Quote:
I would also like to place the yurt several feet off the ground in hopes of enclosing and insulating enough to keep water pipes from freezing, do you think it would work?
It can be done, but you will need to insulate the pipes and probably with electric tape too.

Quote:
I read that one should not make the platform larger than the yurt because rain will cause problems....anyone have any words on this for me? I would think it would be nice to have a large platform that could double as a wrap around deck but don't want to end up with water problems.
You CAN do this, but you will have to put a round platform on top of the larger deck. The reason is, you need the fabric of the yurt to slide over the platform so water does not come into the yurt. The rest of the deck should just be standard decking with spacing for water to drain.

Quote:
Best way to insulate the floor and stop drafts? what type of insulation? I'm assuming they have a sub floor? Sorry I sound so yurt ignorant but that's sorta what I am I guess. lol
Spray foam insulation is the best.

Quote:
Finally, does anyone know someone in my area that may have yurt/platform constructing experience that could be hired? I have been speaking with a really nice man via email that build a sweet wooden yurt but he says he is so busy that he doesn't have the time to build one.
Here is a company in New Hampshire that might be able to help you:

About WMY
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Good advice as usual.

I'll add that I have seen yurts built atop a tarp larger than the footprint of the yurt. Once the yurt is erected atop the tarp, the edge of the tarp is folded up on the OUTSIDE of the wall lattice, but UNDER the yurt cover. The tarp is secured in place by beiing sandwiched between the trap and the laths by the lowest tension rope. This creates a 'bathtub floor' just like in a backpacking or mountaineering tent. I would guess- and it is a guess- that would stop water entering if the yurt was erected atop a deck larger than the yurt or if sited on a flat lot. Good luck with your plans.
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I have been reading a great deal of information and have several ideas for this new adventure. My goal is to live cheaply and enjoy life instead of working just to survive. I'm not afraid of the lack of luxury. I lived for 2 years with 3 kids without electricity or indoor plumbing, refrigeration and only a hand pump to the kitchen for water gravity fed.

I can clearly see what was meant now about the platform size and the rain issues and how the problem occurs. Thanks for explaining.

I may just go with a fabric one for a few years until I can save the money for the "dream" yurt but until I make that decision I am thinking for a 24' wooden exterior yurt 6' off the ground with a 24' platform on top of a 30' deck, I should have 5 timber frame type supports ( Y ) with one being centered and the other 4 at appropriate intervals. Is this over kill or not enough?

I am grateful for all advice of any aspect! Thank you all so much
Bob Rowlands likes this.

Last edited by Roo; 02-02-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Nothing wrong with living within your financial means, and even below them. A mountain of debt that can't be met is very bad for good health. I lived in my small mountain tent, about 4' by 7', for 3.5 months when I was a young man. A 12' yurt would have been luxurious. There is likely a way to access the archived posts on here. I have hundreds of posts detailing some of the questions you might have. For more expansive well rounded info, you might go to the library and get ahold of some yurt books to study in the meantime. Yurts are fantastic tents. I can easily see why nomadic peoples live in them. Even full blown modern Americanized yurts are relatively affordable. I have a trad style unadorned 16'er. You can see it here, and on google images, by typing in Bob Rowlands yurt.

I think a 20'er would be ideal. Get insulation and a nice bright liner, and a window or two. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Bob! I have ordered a yurt book and waiting arrival. I will look up your yurts online! Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

You are in the best place for Yurt advice Roo. You can do a search at Amazon for Yurt books. Living in the Round is excellent.

I am looking for a wooded site here in MI , and when its done I am planning a hybrid, wood and conventional, exploring costs of our advertisers here, and local wood prices the wood will cost just a bit under a conventional one here, if, I do the labor. But there are several companies here that I want to buy parts from, a tono, bagam and

dome

Actually I am planning 2, one to live in and a smaller one adjoining for a shop. It also will have the same parts.

Now is the time to be exploring what can be.

A huge amount of information here just in the posts. You can find many of your answers in them. Good luck and happy reading !
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Jake for your reply! Sounds like many are seeking a better way of life. I have enjoyed reading in the forum and searching online etc. I am anxiously awaiting a book I ordered. Good luck to you in your building adventure and I will get to where I want to be sooner or later. I'd rather it be sooner but we all do what we can afford when we can.

I would save a ton of rent money if I could get into a yurt! It will come.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Hi Roo

Which book do you have? Besides books there is a website named Differently Yurts, he has a calculator on it that is a joy, it covers all in building one, and making up materials list. Just google Differently Yurts, there are posts here also with it and a link.

I don't know how much of a carpenter you are, but, the more you can do yourself and with family/friends the much lower the costs. Half anyhow. I am between a poured slab or a platform, just because for me the costs would be close, and an insulated slab would be a major

heating

and cooling aid. My costs would be a savings in the labor either way. Much to think about either way . With my shop addition the slab has significant

heating

advantage.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #10
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

I ordered "build a yurt" but am looking at other books. I have watch a ton of videos. I am minimally carpentry inclined...I did put a loft and stairs in the barn, built the stalls and put finish stairs in my house but that's about it.

I have a son in law that does prefab building and a nephew that is into carpentry so I think I have that part covered...They will probably understand a lot more than I do. I guess my fear is I'm afraid I'll do it wrong and it will be nightmare! lol that's a woman thing I think because I don't understand all the construction stuff. I get the feeling i worry for nothing but have read about horror stories of collapses etc. I don't have much money and if I am going to build it I need it to come out right with no major issues.

Thank you so much for telling me about the differently yurts! Can't wait to check it out...heading there right now!! I need to talk with my more building inclined family members so they can help me with planning and etc. I'm sure they will say...Don't worry..it will be ok!
Marshall Eppley likes this.

Tags
None