Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Floor Insulation?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default floor insulation?

Hello! We have purchased our yurt! I'm wondering if I will need floor

insulation

?? The yurt has roof and wall insulation…we will buy a wood stove. The coldest it gets here on the california central coast is mid twenties, and only for a month or so. It doesn't snow here but the ground does freeze from time to time….I suppose it would be nice to not have to worry as much about keeping a fire going if the floor

insulation

really helped that much? In the summer it doesn't usually get any higher than 90, and even that is pushing it.

If we decide to insulate, does anyone know of a good material that creatures wouldn't tear up and nest in? Thank you!!

eeerrriiinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: floor insulation?

If you have a wood framed platform, floor insulation absolutely will help vs no insulation. You could insulate with sheet foam or install fiberglass batts. Make sure whatever you install is vented and not sealed up tight.

BTW we have friends that live a couple hours north of San Fran in the coastal mtns. They are near Ft Ross. They heat with wood and that is very pleasant in the winter. The coastal climate is damp, relative to where I live in CO., and that adds bite to the temp.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 02-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I forgot to add, I really don't know about critters and foam or fiberglass insulation. I used to weatherize house trailers in Wyoming back in the late 70s. I can't recall whether the fiberglass under those rigs was nest material or not. Wish I could give you accurate info in that regard. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Administrator

If the platform is high enough off the ground, spray foam would be the best, but probably the most expensive. I believe they need a minimum of 2 feet clearance, but I heard that a long time ago, it maybe be different now.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have seen several people who have skipped insulating the floor and regretted the decision later, I would recommend installing insulation on general principle. After all installing during construction is much cheaper than retrofitting later.
mrspeigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

We used 4'x8' sheets of 2" thick rigid insullation, cut to fit between the floor joists, and fastend from below the yurt with 2.5" screws and large washers. No criter problems and it was installed in 2000 and has held up very well. Used expandable foam from cans to fill any cracks or odd openings
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Mike & Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the post. Good info to know.

Tags
insulation