Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Dome shade solution

We use an extra piece of the foil

insulation

and push it up against the inside of the

dome

. It forms to it nicely and makes a HUGE difference in heat near the

dome

. We leave ours up all summer, but it's literally just pushed in their and takes two seconds to remove and replace.
akcentplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Member

Here is a pic of our solution. We got the shade screen on Amazon (Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBUO22K/...rldwidecreatio), then just cut it larger than our screen insert and placed the screen insert up there.

We used 60 or 70% block to give a good amount of shade. This also allows us to open the dome whenever needed.

Last edited by Jafo; 05-28-2015 at 04:52 PM.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

Off yurts. I make my own wood arrows. With regards to cap, crest, and finish materials, (paints) I've learned to make a test arrow due to failure of the finish not bonding to the cap and crest. I once built two dozen that the finish didn't stick. I even set them in direct sun for several days and that didn't make a difference. It peeled right off with a thumbnail. That learned me fast because it takes ALOT of work to scratch build arrows..
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

Hmmm....this post was supposed to be directed to Knecht on his Czech yurt build thread?
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:45 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

We've got a 24' yurt from

Pacific Yurts

and had been suffering from the immense heat created by sun through the dome during the summer months here. To make things trickier, our yurt has a ceiling fan, so a lot of the solutions I've seen elsewhere wouldn't fit our dome.

What finally worked? A collapsible photography reflector. It's made of a highly reflective silver fabric on one side and a white fabric on the other. The outside is a band of spring steel that provides outward tension. It's super lightweight, cost $40, and is available on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3RpYDIT

I kinda nestled it into place and its own tension holds itself securely in the crown. It doesn't even interfere with opening and closing the dome, but it does a tremendous job of reflecting direct sunlight back out of the yurt.

Hope this approach is helpful to others!

Last edited by Jafo; 08-30-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Sheimend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Sheimend, I created an account here just to say this is brilliant, and exactly what I have been looking for. Spent the last 9 years avoiding the yurt in July and August. I almost wish it was summer again so I could try this now. Thanks!!!
FirstThirtyMinutes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dome