Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Constuction Started

Old 06-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Member

Default Constuction started

Halfway done with the platform panels. 16 pie shaped pieces. After they are all done will still need to insuate with polyisocyanate

insulation

Jafo likes this.

Last edited by Stea; 06-11-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Stea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Constuction started

Nice! Those look much more uniform than the way mine turned out. But it looks like you have an actual garage/shop to make them in instead of an uneven gravel driveway end

You've a modern yurt from

Shelter Designs

, right? A traditional yurt would need a lip on the edge (say, a 2-6" strip of hardboard) to keep the lattice on the platform, but I don't know what

Shelter Designs

recommends.

I might suggest some thin strips of felt or other compressible material tacked along the edges between your pie slices. Even though they look nice and uniform, there still may be little gaps where air will infiltrate (a big problem on my setup to be remedied sometime). A lip or such along the platform perimeter makes it a lot easier to make it somewhat seal against air & wind as well.

Good luck & looking good!
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Hierony, yes I have a 20' Shelter Designs on its way . It will require a 3/8 by about 14" plywood lip around the edge to bolt the bottom of the lattice to. Instruction say to go at least 6" above finished floor height and I also want to cover the panel framing.

Great idea about the felt between the panel sections, maybe a very thin foam strip would work also. Have to start looking next time I'm at Homedepot. If I can't find something that will work I'll head to the fabric store to look at felt. I originally thought maybe a thin line of caulking between the panels during assembly would work also.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

How about those panels! Suhweet! Nicely done!
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

Hopefully they all fit when they are assembled LOL. I don't know if I'll try putting it all together at home before hauling up the mountain or put 15 of them together at the build site and then custom fit the 16th panel. Every panel seems to be a smidge different in size even using a single pattern for all. No way I'm lucky enough to get 16 to fit together perfectly.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

A wise man. I'm certain you will figure it out. You are going to have a very nice warm floor, and that is a BIG deal when it is cold. Good job.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

The frames for my pie slices I think were pretty close to uniform, but when I put the shiplap 2x8s on they didn't all form a smooth, straight line. I think I should have left 1/4" or so of overhang on each board and trimmed it flush to the frame _after_ getting them all attached. Might be different for your setup though.

I've thought about putting a large bead of silicone along the edge of each pie slice, but I'm afraid it wouldn't stay put/dry correctly. I've a bunch of felt/woven wool scraps from my

insulation

setup, so that's why I thought of that. Thinner industrial felt isn't too expensive. I like your idea, but the thin blue foam strips might be a bit thick. I recently got a roll of narrow 'felt' for sealing my door up some--they had wider strips, plus other materials in the door seal section that might work well.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

If the end product isn't an exact fit, just lay a carpet, lino, or tarp atop it to stop drafts and bugs. Making a portable demountable floor is a piece of work. Every first time buillding something you learn ALOT about what to do better the second time. And that includes this old fart as well. Lemme tell yuh I am TOTALLY impressed with anyone that attemts to pull this demountable floor panel system on a one off try. You get an 'A' for effort and that is no BS.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Member

Waiting my excavator to get to the property to do a little more dirt work before I start assembly.

I'll post pics and commets, tips etc.... once the assembly of the platform starts. May help somebody in the future on what to do and what not to do.

I'm a realist and know that it's not going to go together exactly as I planned for but hopefully by not pre building the last panel I'll save my self a huge headache by having to rebuild a panel. I'll put 15 together and then fill in the "gap".
Bob Rowlands and hierony like this.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

From my design & setup, very similar to yours, it was the center piece that came out the worst fitting and most irregular with the most gaps (except for the one pie slice that I designed incorrectly...), fwiw.

Tags
None