Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Beginning The Yurt Process

Old 05-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Beginning the Yurt process

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and also new to yurts.

I am purchasing a property and originally had planned to live in a 16x20 wall tent on a platform, while building a timberframe house.

Looking at wall tents led me to yurts, and the level of build possibilities and the open feeling, and all of the other positive attributes you are all, already aware of.

So my plans have changed considerably. I am now planning on a 32 foot yurt, built on a platform, with full plumbing and electrical. (toilet will be roughed in, as I will be using a composting toilet for quite a while). I am now thinking that the yurt will be a long term solution, and instead of building a house, I will be able to focus on the timberframe barn/workshop.

A couple of questions I have for the group right of the bat..

Yurtz by Design

. Anyone have any experience with them? They are very close to me, just a ferry ride away, so it makes sense to use them if they are reputable. I have searched for reviews, however the only testimonials I have found are on their site.

Floor

insulation

: I see a lot of threads about SIP's, straw bale, wool, etc....Is there a reason that in an elevated platform application, people don't just insulate the same way floors are insulated in stick homes that have unheated crawl spaces? i.e. batt

insulation

stuffed between joists with a vapor barrier? This seems to me, the most versatile when planning to have multiple floor penetrations for plumbing and electrical.

Last question for now relates to windows.

I would like to use glass windows eventually, however to keep initial cost down, I probably will not put all glass in at the start. The question is, how do you establish a weathertight seal around the window frame? Is there a well proven cutting/flashing strategy that people use? Also, framing the opening for glass windows. I have seen a couple of pictures of the framing supported only by the lattice and snow load posts. This looks really nice as opposed to stick framing, however is it sturdy enough.

That is probably enough for a first post

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Beginning the Yurt process

Just thought of another question...

Interior liner....cotton vs vinyl. I like the idea of cotton, however I am in a damp climate.

thoughts?
VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Yurtz by Design

. Anyone have any experience with them? They are very close to me, just a ferry ride away, so it makes sense to use them if they are reputable. I have searched for reviews, however the only testimonials I have found are on their site.
I have no experience with them myself, but here are all the threads they were ever tagged in here:

Yurtz by Design

Quote:
Floor insulation: I see a lot of threads about SIP's, straw bale, wool, etc....Is there a reason that in an elevated platform application, people don't just insulate the same way floors are insulated in stick homes that have unheated crawl spaces? i.e. batt insulation stuffed between joists with a vapor barrier? This seems to me, the most versatile when planning to have multiple floor penetrations for plumbing and electrical.
You can use traditional methods yes. The reason why many do not use batt insulation on a raised platform is generally due to mice and other vermin/critters. If the insulation is exposed outside, this type of insulation makes an absolutely wonderful home for them. Also, you try to make an air barrier on the floor if possible. It is the one part of the yurt you don't want to breathe.

Quote:
I would like to use glass windows eventually, however to keep initial cost down, I probably will not put all glass in at the start. The question is, how do you establish a weathertight seal around the window frame? Is there a well proven cutting/flashing strategy that people use? Also, framing the opening for glass windows. I have seen a couple of pictures of the framing supported only by the lattice and snow load posts. This looks really nice as opposed to stick framing, however is it sturdy enough.
I believe this video by

Colorado Yurts

shows how to add a window retroactively:

It's the same basic procedure for all major engineered yurts. This should give you a general idea.

Quote:
Interior liner....cotton vs vinyl. I like the idea of cotton, however I am in a damp climate.
This might be a question that depends on the individual, but for me, vinyl only. Easier to clean, less expensive, lasts longer and handles

moisture

better. However, less authentic. It depends on what your feelings on the subject are. I think in the long run, cotton will be much more work.

Please do keep us updated on how your project goes. We love to see different yurts go up and hear about your individual experiences.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

My partner and I went and checked out Yurt by design and while they are very nice folks we found them to be thin walled and (for lack of a better word) "plasticky". Everything is vinyl. Not authentic and genuine. Seemed more glamping as opposed to a home to us. We decided to go with Grooovy instead. Hope that helps.
JennyMags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
Administrator

Really depends on what you're looking for. Authentic or architectural. Different strokes for different folks.
ADKbham likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None